Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question for Janome 8900 owners >

Question for Janome 8900 owners

Question for Janome 8900 owners

Old 01-17-2014, 03:47 PM

Default Question for Janome 8900 owners

I have the 8900 and I've been on the fence pretty much since I bought it, primarily because I have always had Brother machines. Any little issue I might have seems to be magnified, and I gave myself a year to decide whether or not I really like the machine and could get used to it or if I just need to sell it and get another Brother. The year is coming to a close and I still can't decide if I want to keep the 8900, though I have already decided to buy a new Brother.

That said, I've had a ... problem? Issue? Concern? I can be sewing along, straight stitch, piecing, and all of a sudden my 8900 makes a loud knocking noise. It sounds like the bobbin case is coming out, and I can feel something in the bottom of the machine move and hit the bobbin cover area. Obviously I don't see it since there's fabric covering the area, but I'm not sure what it is. It just happens once or twice and then it stops (I stop sewing but it's already resolved itself by the time I can process and react to the noise).

Anyone else notice this with their machine? I seem to be the only person in the world that isn't completely enamored with this machine, so I'm not sure if it's my persona prejudices making this out to be worse than it is, or if it's a real issue. I do intend to take the machine in to be cleaned, but the dealer I bought it from is hours away and not convenient for anything.

Suggestions?
Old 01-17-2014, 04:45 PM

I just bought that machine today. I pluck it up tomorrow. Got as great deal from my law. I threaded in my Janome 6600P I bought one year ago. Now I am wondering if I have made a mistake. I hope for your sake your dealer can fix your problem. DO you like it otherwise? I meant local quilt store.
Old 01-17-2014, 05:29 PM

I'll bet the problem is because the bobbin thread isn't into the mechanism properly...it has to fit between the narrow thingy on the left and " click" into place.
Old 01-17-2014, 05:32 PM

There is a janome forum for 8900 users. Join them, they talk about all kinds of issues and problems. Maybe they can help. I love my 8900, I had a problem with it making a clunking noise every time I used it. I complained and complained and the help told me that was the way it was, even their floor model made the noise. One day i was in there and the owner was there, I told him about the noise and the problems I had with everyone blowing me off. He said "I can fix that". And he went into the back and brought out a new machine, let me try it, it was quiet and he traded me just like that. So, keep making noise, so done will finally listen or get in touch with janome yourself and tell them your concerns.
Old 01-17-2014, 06:01 PM

MrsDerf ... I am probably not the right person to ask. One day I love it, the next day I'm just ok with it. LOL I love the wide throat, and overall, it's not a bad machine. But I'm one of those people who believe that people and machines have chemistry and I don't know ... the chemistry here is just "off" for me. I sit down at a Brother machine and it's like angels start singing, but with the Janome, it's like dating someone you like but don't love, if that makes sense. If you already have a Janome, you will probably love it. I made the jump and I sort of regret it, but that doesn't mean anyone else will.

The biggest problem I have is that I bought this machine at the Austin quilt show from a dealer that's in that area, so it's a good two hour or more drive for me to get there to get any help. I can't just stop in and ask them about the machine and the problems, and trying to call them isn't too helpful because they do a lot of internet/phone business. If I had it to do all over again, I wouldn't buy a machine from a dealer who's so far away for this reason alone. In fact, I am going to buy my next machine from a particular dealer because he's 10 miles or so from my house, he's got good prices, and they have great customer service. But honestly, my favorite part is that he's 10 miles away, not 30, not 50 and certainly not 150! Lesson learned there. I can get classes, stop by and ask questions, and take the machine back to them to be serviced.

I've been back and forth between keeping the machine and selling it, but right now I'm definitely leaning toward selling since in March I'll be getting a Brother DreamCreator VM5100 ... I don't think I need two wide throat machines, but I haven't made a final decision yet. I might wait until I get the new machine to make a final decision.

But I am glad to know that I'm not the ONLY one who's had a problem with the machine making noise. I really do think I'm the only person who's got this machine that isn't totally in love with it. And I'll look for the forum too! Thanks for that suggestion.
Old 01-17-2014, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by francie yuhas View Post
I'll bet the problem is because the bobbin thread isn't into the mechanism properly...it has to fit between the narrow thingy on the left and " click" into place.
No, that's not the problem. The thread is in correctly, but thanks for the suggestion.
Old 01-17-2014, 06:29 PM

I have mine a couple weeks now and been on it about 4 hrs a day. No noises but it is taking some getting used to. My Viking designer se le spoiled me in intuitive features and in some ways it's like driving a tercel after having a m5. It's a well built solid machine and handles ok but no heated seat warmer or memory seat positions. Lol
Old 01-17-2014, 07:30 PM

I bought one in Aug of 2013 I previously had a Pfaff Tiptronic 2030 but the motherboard went and there are no replacement for it. I definately can tell you I do not love my Janome 8900 if I could take it back and get my money back I would. I notice that it is a princess if everything is not perfect it acts up so touchy skips stitches alot if I do not change the needle often in my old machine I could use a needle alot longer never any issues with skipping stitches. And yes I have the right needle for my fabric just pieceing if it has to go over an are a little thicker spot like in paper piecing it bogges down and skips stitches. Have noticed it is worse with the 1/4 walking foot with guide so no longer use it but still have issues. Thread likes to ball up at the beginning and when winding the bobbins some times they are nicely wound other times are loose this machine is so finicky. Also not impressed with the drop in bobbin makes a lot of noise and does bounce around a little and these are the bobbins that they were selling at the sewing machine sellers. Was purchased from Montaville Sewing in Oregon. I may sell mine having it serviced now. But all the machines seem so plastic and cheap even though thry have a high sticker price. I got a great deal but I do not think it compares to my old Pfaff all metal machine.

Last edited by frustratedquilter40; 01-17-2014 at 07:35 PM.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:41 PM

I could go on and on about what I don't care for on this machine. I am really leaning toward selling it at this point.
Old 01-18-2014, 04:40 AM

Wow! I have FOUR painfree Janomes all purchased within the last 7 years...new. Go back to the dealer. Something is not making sense to me. Maybe there was a bad production run. Ask the dealer!

I have to be honest, I love Janome but if I purchased another brand of machine, I would be super critical of the new brand. I just love Janome so I wont be putting this theory to the test.

sandy