Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question on Judge's Comments >

Question on Judge's Comments

Question on Judge's Comments

Old 11-08-2014, 12:30 AM

I ran into this at our county fair also. They even let in late entries--when the rules said absolutely no late entries.
The late entry was a judge in another category. She got 1st place & her quilt was gaudy in my opinion.(but that is just my opinion.
Politics are rampant around our county fair.
Not sure If I even want to submit any more.
Old 11-22-2014, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
Question remains, why is the density of the quilting a factor in determining who's quilt is best? Only the judge's personal opinion, nothing more.
Well - that's just it. When you've entered your quilt in a show or competition you've asked for the judge to share their opinions on your work...we like to think the opinion is educated but that is not always the case! In this case it was that the Judge would have liked to see a little more quilting. Does this mean the quilt maker is not a talented and knowledgeable quilter? Absolutely not! It is simply what the judge felt was separating factor between the quilts that ribboned in this particular category - and it is all based on who and what enters. It is ABSOLUTELY opinion...but again, if you put your work out for judging, you have to really make efforts not to take it personally. You have asked for the judges to share their opinion and that's exactly what they did. It's a total crap shoot. Another judge may have thought it was perfect and appropriate quilting.

Quilt shows are the quilter's lottery. You cannot win if you don't enter, but entering doesn't guarantee a win. Take it lightly - be confident...just having the guts to put your work out for viewing is quite an accomplishment in my book!
Old 11-22-2014, 05:08 AM

[QUOTE=wolf3349;6960384]I ran into this at our county fair also. They even let in late entries--when the rules said absolutely no late entries.
The late entry was a judge in another category. She got 1st place & her quilt was gaudy in my opinion.(but that is just my opinion.
Politics are rampant around our county fair.
Not sure If I even want to submit any

I tried to remove my comments, but can't seem to clear the reply box....sorry all!

Last edited by Geri B; 11-22-2014 at 05:14 AM.