Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 41

Thread: question for LA quilters and their customers

  1. #11
    Super Member StitchinJoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Bucks County PA
    Posts
    1,342
    Yes a few longarmers charge by the hour. They guesstimate the amount of time and therefore the amount of money the quilt will cost. Most charge by the inch, which is what I do.

    Quilting charges vary widely based on many factors including the region, the type, density and difficulty of the quilting designs, and the skills, talents, or fame of the quilter.

  2. #12
    Bottle Blonde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    481
    Thank you all for the sharing your knowledge and opinions. My hubby is working on his thesis for a Master's Degree and this is research he asked me to do. He is setting me up in a pretend LAQ business.

    This pretend business may one day become reality because I have recently ordered the Handi Quilter Avante. It will deliver next week and I can't wait! I hope I get the hang of it quickly --- I can be so impatient.

    Thanks again --- keep your opinions coming!

  3. #13
    Junior Member OCQuilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    339 High st Burlington NJ 08016
    Posts
    200
    Blog Entries
    1
    I've been renting Gammill Long Arms for 5 years. We started with 1 and within a year I bought a 2nd. We currently have 3 hand guided machines and 2 Statler Stitchers. Rental and classes are working well for us! We also quilt for people and charge by the inch as you described. I do find that some of my customers that rent "speed quilt" to save money as we charge $20.00 per hour. I would like to see them slow down to improve their work, not to add to my profit. But I haven't tried a different rental rate yet.....but food for thought!

  4. #14
    Bottle Blonde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    481
    Quote Originally Posted by OCQuilts
    I've been renting Gammill Long Arms for 5 years. We started with 1 and within a year I bought a 2nd. We currently have 3 hand guided machines and 2 Statler Stitchers. Rental and classes are working well for us! We also quilt for people and charge by the inch as you described. I do find that some of my customers that rent "speed quilt" to save money as we charge $20.00 per hour. I would like to see them slow down to improve their work, not to add to my profit. But I haven't tried a different rental rate yet.....but food for thought!
    I just visited your website and read your story about how you got started in your business. Very impressive! Congratulations and I hope you continue to grow and live your dream!

  5. #15
    Super Member Lori S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    8,980
    Giving flat rate rather than by the hour benifits both pro and customer. The customer knows exactly how much its going to cost ahead of time. The Pro does not have to Justify the price , it is what it is. I can see if its hourly the customer would never really know .. "did I really get what I paid for?". On the other hand LA quilters can end up spending lots of time with a poorly constructed or prepared for quilting quilt top , that they had not anticipated. Many will call the person prior to starting the quilting to discuss the condition ( delicately) and explain why extra effort and charges are in order.
    I send out many tops and doubt I would ever feel completely comfortable in a hourly unless there was a "not to exceed" dollar amount in the contract. Having said that I did have such a agreement and ...well it was exaclty the top do not exceed $$ and the quilting was less than what I expected for that price. It was a very generous amount and I had expectations of it being "competition" worthy when done. It was not.
    My best experiences have been with LA'ers here on this board . I have seen their work which is consistant in what I look for in design and technical , I trust they will have a vision , and I let them do what they do best. Consitantly both of them , have given me a good indication of what they have in mind for the quilt top , and yes I am always pleased that they exceed my expectations.
    In the end if you are looking for LA services , find one that you want to have a long realtionship with because you have confidence in their work and the way the run their business.
    If you are thinking of starting a business learn from the best practices of those LA professional whom you respect.
    People who use LA services go back again and again to the person they trust. And the old saying in business for every lost customer .. it takes 10 new one to replace them.

  6. #16
    Super Member StitchinJoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Bucks County PA
    Posts
    1,342
    Quote Originally Posted by Bottle Blonde
    Thank you all for the sharing your knowledge and opinions. My hubby is working on his thesis for a Master's Degree and this is research he asked me to do. He is setting me up in a pretend LAQ business.

    This pretend business may one day become reality because I have recently ordered the Handi Quilter Avante. It will deliver next week and I can't wait! I hope I get the hang of it quickly --- I can be so impatient.

    Thanks again --- keep your opinions coming!
    If you are interested in real start up costs, PM me.

    There's a lot more to buy besides the machine, and it all costs good money, and almost all of it needs to be ordered on the web and delivered to you. Shipping charges are a big "invisible" business expense these days.

  7. #17
    Bottle Blonde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    481
    This is very generous of you, and of course, I will send a PM. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by StitchinJoy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bottle Blonde
    Thank you all for the sharing your knowledge and opinions. My hubby is working on his thesis for a Master's Degree and this is research he asked me to do. He is setting me up in a pretend LAQ business.

    This pretend business may one day become reality because I have recently ordered the Handi Quilter Avante. It will deliver next week and I can't wait! I hope I get the hang of it quickly --- I can be so impatient.

    Thanks again --- keep your opinions coming!
    If you are interested in real start up costs, PM me.

    There's a lot more to buy besides the machine, and it all costs good money, and almost all of it needs to be ordered on the web and delivered to you. Shipping charges are a big "invisible" business expense these days.

  8. #18
    Senior Member Joy Higdon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Groveland, Fl
    Posts
    800
    Blog Entries
    16
    My local LA charges by the quilt. The last queen size she quilted for me was $70. She does beautiful work but only does stippling, meandering and swirls. If I make a quilt that is very special, I like to have it custom quilted.

  9. #19
    Super Member DianneK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Liberty, Pa
    Posts
    1,598
    I am a longarmer. I charge by the sq. inch according to the denseness of the design. I stock 2 battings and charge per sq foot for those. I try not to nickel and dime my customers by adding a lot of extra charges...pressing, re-pinning for borders, etc. If I see that there will be extra work, I just add a little into the charge per sq foot. I only have one Gammill and would NOT even consider renting it! I have been in business for over 5 years and love what I do.

  10. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Central Indiana
    Posts
    733
    Quote Originally Posted by Bottle Blonde
    Thank you all for the sharing your knowledge and opinions. My hubby is working on his thesis for a Master's Degree and this is research he asked me to do. He is setting me up in a pretend LAQ business.

    This pretend business may one day become reality because I have recently ordered the Handi Quilter Avante. It will deliver next week and I can't wait! I hope I get the hang of it quickly --- I can be so impatient.

    Thanks again --- keep your opinions coming!
    You will love youe Avante--love mine. The larger size from the HQ16 is amazing.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.