Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Question for Long arm quilters

Have you, or have you ever considered, offering a basting service for people who want to hand quilt but for various reasons are unable to baste larger quilt sandwiches?

If you have done this, what do you charge (ballpark is of course fine), or what do you think you would charge?

Blog Entries
    I don't quilt for people yet, but I know many who offer this service.

I baste for my friends all the time. They give me about $35 to $45 per quilt when it is twin or double. I use a light thread and put a line across the quilt side to side about every one to one and a half feet. It usually doesn't take too long but it helps them out a lot.
    Once I even turned it and put lines in a grid all through the quilt so she could travel in the car with it, it was less than twin sized. Good Luck and enjoy.

It's on my list. Probably no more than $40 for a large quilt. I use a about a 6" grid - about what you'd used for pins. BIG stitches and when you've hand quilted an area, the stitches are easy to pull out.

Super Member fleurdelisquilts.com's Avatar
    I've done this only once or twice and charged only about $45. It was really more to help a friend who wanted to hand quilt but needed to be able to move it around. It took more time to load the quilt than to baste it.

I've also done this. I charge .005 per square inch (1/2 a cent) with my normal minimum charge of $35. I've done both a large grid or a large meander.

Thank you so much for these answers! I want to be able to hand quilt some of my future tops (have always sent them out to be long armed) , but since there is no way I could baste them, I was hoping there might be another way.
    Now to save up for the hoop! LOL
    Sorcha

I don't have room to baste a quilt larger than a small crib quilt, so I have a LAer baste mine. I paid about $50 for a nearly queen-size. It had long stitches running in a grid every 5 inches or so both horizontally and vertically. I machine quilt, but since I have a lack of space, being able to do this is a life-saver.