Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question for Longarm Quilters >

Question for Longarm Quilters

Question for Longarm Quilters

Old 01-10-2016, 04:56 AM

Default Question for Longarm Quilters

I'm in the process of making the Nouveau Wedding Quilt by Eleanor Burns. Of course I'm already thinking about the quilting (way way before I'm even at that stage lol) I'm planning on quilting a simple design in the middle square and the melon piece.

1. Here's my question do I have to stitch in the ditch for all blocks? hopefully none lol
2. Can I just start quilting the top border and side borders and work my way across the quilt then advance quilt and keep quilting, or do I start in the middle of the row and work left to right...hum not sure I'm explaining this correct...My biggest thing is do I have to stitch around each block or can I just start quilting left to right...I really don't want to do a pantograph on this quilt but will if I have to start quilting around each block before putting my motifs in the center of each block....Not sure I will quilt the arcs or not but if I do it will be simple.....
3. If I did however decided to do a pantograph just for time sake, would it look okay and if so do you have any recommendations on which pantograph would look good....

Thanks in advance for any suggestions...please keep in mind I'm not that great at quilting my tops unless using a pantograph.
Old 01-10-2016, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by btiny36 View Post
I'm in the process of making the Nouveau Wedding Quilt by Eleanor Burns. Of course I'm already thinking about the quilting (way way before I'm even at that stage lol) I'm planning on quilting a simple design in the middle square and the melon piece.

1. Here's my question do I have to stitch in the ditch for all blocks? hopefully none lol
2. Can I just start quilting the top border and side borders and work my way across the quilt then advance quilt and keep quilting, or do I start in the middle of the row and work left to right...hum not sure I'm explaining this correct...My biggest thing is do I have to stitch around each block or can I just start quilting left to right...I really don't want to do a pantograph on this quilt but will if I have to start quilting around each block before putting my motifs in the center of each block....Not sure I will quilt the arcs or not but if I do it will be simple.....
3. If I did however decided to do a pantograph just for time sake, would it look okay and if so do you have any recommendations on which pantograph would look good....

Thanks in advance for any suggestions...please keep in mind I'm not that great at quilting my tops unless using a pantograph.
Hi. If you have your backing pinned on, clamps on and have basted the layers together at the top and sides you can start quilting any placed you want to. No stitch in the ditch needed. A pantograph would work but might not be what you want. Experiment and have fun.
Old 01-10-2016, 07:11 AM
Power Poster

What Lisalovesquilting said. But you may wish to consider ditching as a means of travelling on the quilt so you don't have to stop and tie off on every square and melon.
Old 01-10-2016, 08:15 AM

You do not have to SID, but I do. I just think it showcases the quilting in each block better.
Old 01-11-2016, 07:08 AM

thanks for the great advice. Feline Fanatic you are correct about ditching as a means of traveling from one area to the other rather than tying off which probably wouldn't look good on the back and lfletcher it would certainly showcase especially on the back side of the quilt. Lisalovesquilts I was thinking the same thing about a pantograph don't think it would serve well in this type of quilt...Oh hum.....I think I might just load a piece of muslin and draw out the blocks and practice....On a positive note I purchased a towa gauge just tired of fooling around with bobbin tension....hope my expensive purchase serves me well........
Old 01-11-2016, 11:24 AM

SOUNDS like you have a plan I really think that no matter what you quilt on it will look good. to me rarely does the quilting shower over the pieced quilt unless it is densely quilted. Enjoy
Old 01-11-2016, 08:26 PM

As long as you've stabilized the quilt with enough stitching (or basting) to keep it from shifting on the frame, that is what is needed. Don't panto it just because it may be easier--sounds like you've already envisioned a different pattern.

I use the Towa gauge all the time---each bobbin, because it s a great why to know that your bobbin tension is fine and save on frustration.