Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
A question for machine embroiderers... >

A question for machine embroiderers...

A question for machine embroiderers...

Old 05-04-2016, 10:39 AM

Default A question for machine embroiderers...

What kind of stabilizer do you use when doing flour sack towels?

Previously I have posted about where to buy flour sack towels and found some on Amazon that are okay...Utopia Kitchens...12 for 17.99

Also really liked Aunt Martha's Stitch me up towels with the 4 colored stipe on the side...think they were about 3/$8.00.

And Aunty Ems with stripes on sides that come in blue...red and green. 13/$17.00

LIliane were nice but hemmed on two sides only and were more expensive at 12/$25.00.

The Nouvelle were sent back...really bad quality.
Old 05-04-2016, 11:39 AM

It all depends on the design you are stitching. For a lightweight design I use a tear-away stabilizer for heavier design I use the medium weight cut-away.
Old 05-04-2016, 01:28 PM
Power Poster

I concur!

how is the quality on aunt em's and Utopia?
which one is better
Old 05-04-2016, 02:30 PM

Re: flour ur sack towels..I thought the Utopia was the best for the money...hemmed all the way around...comes kind. Of wrinkled in lines...but I washed and ironed and they seemed fine.

The LIliane quality was nice but only hemmed I two sides...didn't think they were worth the extra money...I do craft sales so cost/quality is the main factor.

The Nouvelle were just not good at all.

The Aunty Ems are a different towel altogether...they are rectangular with a hanging loop. I washed and ironed and they are a good weight.

The Aunt Martha's with thematic colored stripe were approximately the same size...washed and ironed well. Mayb a little nicer quality than th Auntie Ems but the multi color does not always suite what I'm doing.

I could send you some pics if you pm with your email.
Old 05-05-2016, 03:32 AM

What she says!

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy View Post
It all depends on the design you are stitching. For a lightweight design I use a tear-away stabilizer for heavier design I use the medium weight cut-away.
Old 05-05-2016, 04:31 AM

I have always found heavier designs too much for true flour sack towels, regardless of what stabilizer I use. And since it is a towel where you can see the other side while using it (unless for display only), then I don't care for the cut-away stabilizer. I have used doubled up tear away with success, though
Old 05-05-2016, 08:42 AM

Default thrifty source for dish towels

If you are looking for a thrifty way get some dish towels for embroidery, then consider looking for some good quality damask table cloths at your local thrift shop. I find nice ones for three or four dollars and can make up to six or eight nice towels. I just run a serged edge and fold it over to stitch down, quick and easy. Then I use a soluble stabilizer to do a nice machine embroidery on one end. For a quick fix I will just put a bit of rick rack or a band of nice cotton cloth. I find the 12x12" napkins make for nice hanging towels with a matching fabric for a dish towel ensemble. One of my local thrift shops gets a yearly donation from local hotels with banqueting facilities so it is a good resource for linins. I will guess that if you call around in your area you can find one with similar donations.
If you are looking for the striped variety, try HomeSew.com or for by the yard, try Fabric.com