Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question on miniature Bargello >

Question on miniature Bargello

Question on miniature Bargello

Old 06-13-2014, 07:16 PM

Default Question on miniature Bargello

What size would you make a miniature Bargello? I am making one for the miniature auction during our quilt show, and I am halfway in the "creation stage." The rules I have say that the perimeter shouldn't be more than 100 inches.

I have already made 2 miniatures for the auction....15 x 19inches, and 13 x 16 inches, though neither was a Bargello. This one looks like it will be 15 x 22, unless I leave the outer right and left strips off and remove the bottom three squares of each strip, and then it will be 13 x 19 inches.

Here is what I have pinned to my design wall, but I still have to sew the vertical strips together, so each square will be 1/2 inch thinner. This size will end up 15 x 22 inches, unless I decide to make it smaller. Can you visualize it just a bit skinnier and shorter, or does it look like it will end up okay as it is? It will have a 1/4 inner light border and then a 1 inch or 1 1/4 inch outer dark border.

I am leaning towards the smaller size, even though I know that both sizes meet the requirements of the auction.

Which would you do...the smaller one or athelarger one? Thanks for any opinions.

Dina
Attached Thumbnails s8001850.jpg  
Old 06-13-2014, 07:36 PM

I like what you have on the design board! Looks well balanced.
Old 06-13-2014, 07:51 PM

It's gorgeous! I'd finish it like you have it laid out. But, if you're not sure, sew the pieces together without the two outside sections and then add them last after you decide if you want them or not. And, if it's too long...well...use your rotary cutter and size to your liking. But your mini is gorgeous!!!!!
Old 06-14-2014, 02:36 AM
Power Poster

looks good so far. if it turns out too long, i'd remove one top and one bottom row by just slicing them off.
Old 06-14-2014, 04:54 AM

I like the way you have it now. It is a beautiful little quilt. Great colors and design.
Old 06-14-2014, 05:14 AM

Yes, you have all confirmed what I knew. I simply need to sew up what I have and then decide. Problem is that even then I probably won't know what I want to do. At that point I will just go with the easiest route!!

Dina
Old 06-14-2014, 12:28 PM
Power Poster

Hey Dina, did you look at the special bonus in The Bargello Book you just bought?? It is difficult to tell how a design will look because of the seams that have not been sewn yet. Are you NOT working on the other twin bargello ???
Old 06-14-2014, 02:37 PM

It looks great to me, but I've never been brave enough to attempt a Bargello quilt. Did a small small crewel work wall hanging years ago, but this is a whole different ball game. Go with your gut.
Old 06-14-2014, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
Hey Dina, did you look at the special bonus in The Bargello Book you just bought?? It is difficult to tell how a design will look because of the seams that have not been sewn yet. Are you NOT working on the other twin bargello ???
No, Joellyn, but I will. I haven't had too much time to look at the books I bought yet....still Bargelloing with what I have going. Here is where I am now on this mini....and the second twin Bargello is on hold until this mini is done. I just finished the middle and the borders are semi-pinned on.

By the way, I guess my math was way off because the size I am ending up with isn't either of the two sizes I thought it would be. I am NOT measuring it at all now. What it is, it is.

Dina
Attached Thumbnails s8001851.jpg