Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Question for moms and grandmoms of little girls >
  • Question for moms and grandmoms of little girls

• Question for moms and grandmoms of little girls

Old 03-26-2016, 08:51 AM
    Power Poster

wHEN MY GIRLS AND GRAND GIRLS AND GREAT GRAND GIRLS WERE LITTLE I MADE PURSES FOR THEM MAKING THE STRAP THE SIZE OF A LADIES SHORT HAND LENGTH STRAP. THEY STILL COULD GET IT UP ON THEIR SHOULDER BUT IT DIDN'T GET TANGLED IN THEIR LEGS ETC. ABOUT 14 " GOOD LUCK AND I FOR ONE WOULD LOVE TO SEE BOTH THE PURSES.
    Old 03-26-2016, 08:58 AM

When I make a bag for GD I make the strap in proportion to it. Small bag=short straps. I've been making her bags to match her mom's for several years now-she's now 6, started when she was 3 maybe. I make 2 short handles rather than one long strap. Just easier for her to carry
    Old 03-26-2016, 09:43 AM
    Evy

Thanks everyone for the advice and input. I will make the bag with a short handle for safety's sake although I do agree sometime we go overboard with all the overly careful stuff but since I don't know this woman I'd rather be safe than sorry. My daughter did not volunteer me to make this at all. She was shocked when the woman brought her the material to bring me. She said her boss was there at the time and was as shocked as she was. When the other woman was out of hearing distance, she told DD she'd like a quilt when I finished the bag. DD said she told her "don't hold your breath"! She knows I don't usually sew for anyone but family. This will be my good deed for now and maybe the lady will pay it forward somehow. Thanks again.
    Old 03-26-2016, 11:03 AM

Those are all really good answers. I get roped into things all the time. I now procrastinate when doing something unsolicited. My dd friend brought me fabric to make a baby quilt for a shower. She needed it in a week. She thought I could just whip one up quickly. It has been 6 months and I haven't even started it yet. I probably won't. I am waiting for this friend to say something to me. My answer will be to give her the fabric back and tell her she can find someone that is faster and nicer than me. Another wanted me to make a quilt as a wedding gift. I said with out looking at the pattern she had in mind, $400 for fabric, $100 for batting, $100 for backing, $500 for my time and expertise and $500 for quilting and binding. This "friend" was offended. In you case, I would do it, but only on my time line and for free. And no next time.
    My two cents worth!
    Old 03-26-2016, 11:15 AM

I agree with Natalie. i would politely say I only sew for family, because she is going to come back as someone else said and want you to do some more for her.
    Old 03-26-2016, 03:41 PM

I have read all the comments so far, and don't have anything to add. What I want is for you to tell us what is said when the bag is given to her. I wonder will she show appreciation, and maybe even offer to pay something for it. It sure would be nice if she tried to pay for it...but I am not holding my breath.
    Old 03-26-2016, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by GingerK
    I tend to wonder if your DD was pleased with the compliments about her bag, and in the heat of the moment said something like "My mom loves to sew and I'm sure she wouldn't mind making a bag for you." and then did not know how to tactfully add that there would be a cost to the process.

My youngest daughter did this to me when she was in HS & made her prom/formal dance dresses, at various times 3 different friends showed up at my door with fabric & a pattern for a formal dress, saying "Mary said you would make this for me" So I did & 27 years later am still smiling at the friendships forged by those girls with me. The girls & their mother's were grateful, otherwise could not have afforded the dresses, one of the mother's cooked me a special dinner to repay the favor. One of the dresses was a very simple but classic style, very quick to make, but looked stunning on the petite girl, later her cousin wore it to an event & her older sister wore it to a college formal & called to tell me the dress was still traveling, one of the girls wore it in on stage for a choir event in Paris! I never expected that, I am not an expert, just followed the pattern directions & luckily it fit perfectly, pure luck. I never regretted agreeing to make those dresses, actually brought me joy even after all these years.
    Old 03-26-2016, 11:00 PM

I think y'all are being to hard on this lady. Since she is an nice older lady that is alone maybe she didn't think it was a lot of work for you. I think you ought to do it with a kind heart. Your daughter, without knowing, might have said something that led the lady you would do it
    Old 03-27-2016, 06:46 AM
    Power Poster

I love questions like this. Its always brings out the true feelings we have but 99% of us would never say. I always take the time to share these questions/comments with non-quilters and hopefully it gives them a nonverbal warning to not ask or assume others are thrilled to work for free.
    Old 03-27-2016, 10:20 AM

I get that all the time. I've learned to say "no." However, I agree with Evy. But, I'd have my daughter say, "My mother makes these for $75." That would discourage people from giving you work you really don't want to do. And if the person agrees to the $75, I'd be happy to make one for her.