Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question for moms and grandmoms of little girls >

Question for moms and grandmoms of little girls

Question for moms and grandmoms of little girls

Old 03-25-2016, 04:01 AM
Evy

Default Question for moms and grandmoms of little girls

Somehow after giving my daughter a quilted bag, her co-worker assumed I would be happy to make her one. She sent me 2 yards of fabric, more than enough, and asked if I had any left over would I make a small one for her 4 year old god daughter. Not sure how I feel about her assumption, but she's an older lady, all alone and according to my daughter very nice, so a couple hours time is no big deal. My question is, how long a strap would I need for a child? I'll probably make a single shoulder strap for it.

Thanks
Old 03-25-2016, 04:40 AM

Evy, I agree that your daughter's co-worker was presumptuous but at least she bought the fabric. I would do it--take the request as a compliment but I would stress that this was a one time deal (she may show up with fabric at Christmas and assume you'll make more).

As for the strap on a child's bag, I'd err on the side of caution and make the straps short, just like a handle, instead of a shoulder style strap. With all the litigious people out there you wouldn't want to be held responsible if the child had an accident due to a dangling bag or strap around her neck.

You're a sweet person to do this.
Old 03-25-2016, 04:50 AM

Maybe I'm being mean, but I would say that I would do it but there will be a fee of $XX for your labor. (people who are presumptuous like that and dump work on your lap with out asking is a pet peeve of mine). Yes it;s a compliment, but your time is worth something. If you had offered to make it, that would be a different story. I'm eagerly awaiting to see how others would handle it.
Old 03-25-2016, 05:16 AM

I agree with Natalie. The next time you see her you will get volunteered for a full sized quilt due in 3 weeks! If you have already accepted the task, make sure she knows this was a one-time deal. BTW, are you supplying batting and thread? Pam
Old 03-25-2016, 07:16 AM

I tend to wonder if your DD was pleased with the compliments about her bag, and in the heat of the moment said something like "My mom loves to sew and I'm sure she wouldn't mind making a bag for you." and then did not know how to tactfully add that there would be a cost to the process.

I guess I would do it this time but make sure that you DD and this lady understand it is a one-off and any further items would carry a price tag.
Old 03-25-2016, 07:19 AM
Evy

Originally Posted by CanoePam View Post
I agree with Natalie. The next time you see her you will get volunteered for a full sized quilt due in 3 weeks! If you have already accepted the task, make sure she knows this was a one-time deal. BTW, are you supplying batting and thread? Pam
Somehow I lost what I had begun typing, so excuse any confusion on this reply!

I am supplying the batting, lining and snap. She provided the outside fabric. I don't mind making them, but it just bothers me that because you sew people just assume you want to make things for them for free. My daughter has several bags I've made (for love-not money) and I told her to just casually mention that "Mom gets $25.00 for these" so that will probably end asking for another one. And I never thought about the liability issue of a long strap on a child's bag, thank you so very much for mentioning that.
Old 03-25-2016, 07:39 AM

My kids know better than saying Mom loves to sew and would be glad to make one for you. the know exactly how much it costs in time and labor to make them.
Old 03-25-2016, 09:35 AM

With Easter just a couple of days away, I hope all Moms and Grandmoms are as safety-conscious! A 4-year-old should not be carrying a shoulder strap purse.
Old 03-25-2016, 10:05 AM

I agree with the previous comments. A handle on the little girls bag and exploring more as what was said. And in addition I have been guilty of not accepting a complement well and saying , Oh it was easy, I try to say now thank you and that I'm a one banger than move on.........calla
Old 03-25-2016, 11:39 AM

Let your daughter know that you will do no custom work for anyone but family or good friends. It's not fun to have to make something when your heart isn't in it.

Tell your daughter that you will be happy to have her friend come over and learn how to make the bags with your guidance; that will make the bags more meaningful to her friend and her daughter. And probably to you.