Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Question on Older Bernina

My hubby has started collecting sewing machines for me :wink:
    He has found an older mechanical Bernina model Favorite 740, looks like it is from the 60's maybe. It is for $95. Should I check into it further? I know some of the board members repair and service machines. Does anyone have one?

Pam
    I have the 1031, it is about 17 years old and runs like a top. These older machines have metal gears, very few plastic parts, that is why they work so well. If it runs well I would purchase it.

Thanks, I think I may investigate it.

I have an 817 and it runs like new. That is a good price. I would look into it.

I have a 33 year old Bernina 830 and it still sews perfectly. Mine is so old they have started using the # 830 again. LOL. I recently got the Aurora 440 QE because of the BSR. I kept my "old faithful" and still use it from time to time. $95 sounds like a steal to me.

Power Poster
    I bought a Bernina in 1962 - it was one of the top of the line ones from that era (don't remember the model - and my daughter has custody of it - I'm thinking of tryiing to get it back from her) - and it was a wonderful machine.

Thanks for everyones responses. DH is doing some more checking into it. It would require about a 2 hour trip from my house, but heh, I could check out LQS on the way :thumbup:

I have a 27 year old 930 and my sister still has my moms she bought in 1956 in Germany, not sure of the model, think it might be a 530 Record. They both sew like new machines. Love them.

Thanks for all the responses. Update, it is not an old 740 it is a Favorit 540. My DH seems to want this machine pretty badly, but still not sure. It doesn't seem to have many feet, and it is about 2-1/2 hours from my home. But...on the upside, we could find some quilt shops on the way. :thumbup: Below is a pic of the machine, would be interested to see if anyone has ever had or seen one like it.

Bernina favorit 540
    Name:  Attachment-52992.jpe
Views: 2091
Size:  45.0 KB

I'm still using my 830 record - 30+ years old. It runs like a top. I don't think you've got a winner.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast