Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question on poly/cotton blends >

Question on poly/cotton blends

Question on poly/cotton blends

Old 06-23-2010, 10:24 AM

I have always been taught to use only 100% cotton for quilts. The other day I found 3 yes of the cutesy baby fabris for $3. Got home and did burn test and it was poly/cotton blend :-(
Today I got a whe box of bits and pieces of fabric a the thrift store with a mix of cotton and poly blends. Some would coordinate with the baby fabric very nicely (the blend). So my question why can't poly cot blend be used in quilts? I wouldn't mix but would use all poly blend. Corse flannel or minky on back would be nice... Really could use guidance. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:27 AM

You can use poly, the biggest problem I find is it fades differently than cottons. Cotton fades faster.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:31 AM
Power Poster

poly/cotton blends wear like iron and do not shrink or fade...and minkie is polyester...so, if you can use minkee why cant you use the fabrics you found? there are no quilt police; back in the olden days quilts were made with scraps of everything available. i know , there wasn't any poly back then but...crazy quilters use cotton,silks, velvets, leather/suede...ect. the poly would be great for a kid that is going to drag it around for years ...
all that being said...blends and polyester does not soften and fluff with washing like 100% cotton does, so there is the downfall to using it.
but again...no shrinkage, no fading, wears like iron...
Old 06-23-2010, 10:35 AM

Thanks so much for the quick responses. Now another question. If I would piece with all blends but decide to use a flannel back, in theory should that work if I was several times in hot washer and dryer to shrink it first?
Old 06-23-2010, 10:42 AM

It would probably be a good idea to preshrink your cotton flannel. As for the polyblends, the Amish and other famous quilters certainly use whatever. It is only us crazy"English" who only quilt with new, cotton fabric for our personal use or otherwise. The American style of patchwork quilting was invented to use up every little scrap of then imported expensive fabric.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:53 AM

If you are going to mix fabrics, prewash and dry the same way you intend to after the quilt is finished. I generally don't prewash if the fabric is like, but flannel shrinks a lot and so do some cottons. The poly may not shrink at all.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:55 AM

Use it. Shrink the flannel use the poly-cotton. If you are planning an hierloom quilt, use the best 100% cotton that you can possibly afford. Otherwise use it.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:00 AM

I've always been wary of using poly/cotton fabric and polyester batting in baby quilts because I was told that in a fire polyester tends to melt and stick to skin, rather than burn like cotton will.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:30 PM
Power Poster

I would use it :D:D:D I haven't ever noticed cotton/poly shrinking very much... but I would wash the cotton and flannel to make sure they aren't going to shrink :wink:
Old 06-23-2010, 01:27 PM

In a time long, long ago and a land far, far away...LOL...our grandparents and my parents used EVERYTHING! There is no reason not to use poly blends that I can think of. I use them because they are not as expensive and I have family (extended family) that will not take care of the quilts so I don't use expensive material or hand quilt them...I save those for myself or people I know will take care of the work and appreciate the effort and time I put into the project.