Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question on price >

Question on price

Question on price

Old 07-09-2009, 09:25 AM

Good price, but make sure you have all instructions in writing then there is no mis-communication. Also how old is the quilt? If it is over 20 years old you need to have it checked BEFORE you have it quilted so that the quilt does not get ruined in the process.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:36 AM

hokie,
All Sizes. She says it takes as much prep for a small quilt as a large one so it is the same price on all sizes.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Rose Marie
hokie,
All Sizes. She says it takes as much prep for a small quilt as a large one so it is the same price on all sizes.
Great deal. It would pay to send mine to her if you like the work, but I enjoy the quilting myself.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:41 AM

That is the only problem. She is so busy it takes 3 months to get your quilt done.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:39 PM

Rose Marie-I too live in your area-down Tempe way-would like the name of your quilter, I just don't have the space to get a big project going to finish my quilt Faye
Old 07-10-2009, 07:15 AM

A GREAT PRICE! Check on recommendations for her work. You often get what you pay for.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:39 AM

My little group has used her for years. She does good work. No free hand stuff she uses the rolls of paper patterns and a lazer for designs.
She even hand sews the binding on the back.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:50 AM

Is the binding to be done by hand or by machine? If by machine, it sounds quite pricey. Here's why... (Oh and paying a huge price does not always guarantee a fantastic job... I am retired, do this because I enjoy it, don't have to make a killing at it, and cater to an older group of quilters, many on a fixed income who are very pleased with what I do, and I enjoy making people happy.) Back to the topic here! I am a long arm quilter and will do the binding if requested. I only do binding by machine. I sew the binding on the backside, then use a decorative stitch (usually feather stitch) to finish it off on the topside. To me it is more durable than hand stitiching, and is prettier as well. I just completely finished a 113x130 quilt for a customer. It had an appliqued top (dogwoods and ribbons rather sparsely placed) I outlined the applique, then meandered the rest. I charged a total of $95.00 for quilting and binding. She supplied backing and batting. I use a small table beside my sewing machine to support the weight of the quilt while I'm doing the binding. It took a little less than an hour to completely bind that big baby.
If I could get things to work right, I would upload a picture of it. I seem to have a problem uploading anything, although my pics are in jpg and small file formats. Any suggestions about what I may be doing wrong?
TIA
Old 07-13-2009, 02:50 PM

crazyquilter, thanx for the info. I also thought the binding was kind of high considering that the quilting itself is only ten dollars more. I thought of asking about it but didn't want her to have second thoughts and then up the price of quilting, although she did say to save my e-mail as my quote. She has a long arm machine so it will be done on there. where are you located? thanx star