Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question: Printing Quilt Labels with Inkjet Printer >

Question: Printing Quilt Labels with Inkjet Printer

Question: Printing Quilt Labels with Inkjet Printer

Old 04-07-2015, 02:58 PM

Default Question: Printing Quilt Labels with Inkjet Printer

I have in the past been able to use my Canon I900D inkjet printer to print my quilt labels. I would press fabric onto the sticky side of sticker paper and print. Then I would heat set the label and they washed beautifully. That printer died and we purchased a new Canon MG7500 inkjet printer and it prints on fabric but fades out after one washing.

My question to all of my Board Members is, which inkjet printers do you use for printing quilt labels. Thank you for your input.
Old 04-07-2015, 03:29 PM

Just posted this in another thread. I do not use the fabric sheets pre made for this as I've found they do not last. I've had great success with printing on fabric ironed to freezer paper but there are some things you need to know. You MUST prewash the fabric and use no fabric softener. The chemicals and sizing have to be removed for the ink to penetrate. No fabric softener because you'll use it in the treatment. You need to treat the fabric after washing it and before printing on it. I've used this method http://www.theidearoom.net/2010/03/g...-creative.html instead of using bubble jet as it is expensive!
It has to be an inkjet printer. Laser printers will not work. Most importantly, you have to use pigment inks and not dye inks. Just out of sheer luck, my HP printer (inkjet pro 8100) inks are pigment inks. I also let mine dry for a day and iron it a lot to set any remaining ink. I did a test run and washed the fabric in hot water. It did fade very slightly after 5 washings but I can figure no one will wash a quilt in hot water 5 times! You can usually google your printer ink cartridge and find out of it is dye or pigment. Dye ink is not water proof or colorfast.
Old 04-07-2015, 05:01 PM

I agree with auntnana and have had similar success, but using the Bubble Jet Set stuff (got it on Amazon).
Old 04-07-2015, 05:01 PM

auntnana! This post is so helpful to me. Thank you so much. I so appreciate your help. Yolanda
Old 04-07-2015, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by littlebitoheaven View Post
auntnana! This post is so helpful to me. Thank you so much. I so appreciate your help. Yolanda
Welcome! If you use this method my only caution is when you iron the fabric to the freezer paper be careful with your temp as it can scorch easier with the treatment still in it. Don't ask me how I know. The recipe as is will treat 1 yard.

Last edited by auntnana; 04-07-2015 at 05:27 PM.
Old 04-09-2015, 08:02 AM

With my HP ink jet printer I found that if I didn't use the BEST print but the next level below that the printing was more stabilized.
Also, after I ironed the material to the freezer paper then I re cut the leading edge and re-ironed so the fabric went in smoothly and without any problems.