Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
question on pulling up bobbin thread when free motion quilting >

question on pulling up bobbin thread when free motion quilting

question on pulling up bobbin thread when free motion quilting

Old 04-21-2016, 11:25 AM

I always pull my bobbin stitch up when FMQ
Old 04-22-2016, 02:48 AM

I usually use the thread cutter when ending a section of quilting and then start again by sewing in place a few times, so I don't pull the threads up. I only do pull them up when I haven't used the cutter.
Old 04-22-2016, 03:06 AM

I also pull mine up... I love my Janome 6600 but it does get thread nests from time to time. I then bury my thread tails later.
Old 04-22-2016, 04:18 AM

Unless I start at the very edge of my quilt sandwich, I pull the bobbin thread up and hold it securely when I start to FMQ and then tie knots and bury the threads It eliminates the possibility of thread nests which any machine can create-some more than others. I also choose not to make several stitches in place because it shows. When you tie off and run the needle into the batting it doesn't show and by burying the thread thoughtfully you can many times stitch over the buried tail with another line of quilting stitches.
Old 04-22-2016, 05:20 AM
Power Poster

I use the thread cutter button after stitching in place for a couple of stitches at the stopping point. I use a nail clipper to cut the tail ends down to the fabric.
Old 04-22-2016, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by quilting cat View Post
My Bernina usually is happy with me not pulling up the bobbin thread -- it's the starting end of the top thread that is more likely to tangle.
You're right, Quilting cat. It's the top thread that makes the nests. Try sewing with different colors and you will see which makes the nest.
I never pull up the bobbin thread. If I start and stop in the middle somewhere, I usually make a few stitches to secure the threads and go to the next spot and secure that spot. I leave the bobbin thread pull out and cut it off later from the back.
If I have to change the bobbin, I throw the quilt back over the machine, change the bobbin, bring the quilt back down and move to the spot to where it had stopped. Then I pull the needle thread back so that it is taut right where it had stopped, make a stitch or two right there and I'm off stitching.
Old 04-22-2016, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
Same as quiltsRfun. It's not to prevent breakage - it's to prevent a thread mess under the quilt.
I do the same when doing machine embroidery, do not want a mess on the back side of my project.
Jan
Old 04-22-2016, 08:14 AM

I pull my bobbin thread to the top to prevent sewing over it. The one time I didn't pull it up I trapped the tail by sewing across it (more than once) and the needle went through the thread making it very difficult to get loose. I ended up with a thread tail almost too short to knot and bury.
Old 04-22-2016, 12:48 PM
Power Poster

I do on my Juki. My Babylock Jane has a thread cutter, only about 1/2" thread. So I don't worry about it.
I use a very light weight oil and it disappears.
Old 04-22-2016, 01:31 PM
Suz

I, too, pull the bobbin thread up. My fingers are not so nimble and getting hold of the bobbin tail sometimes presents a problem for me. I have a pair of tweezers that I keep at my sew machine and find that I use them often. Since my fingers are bent at strange angles, I only handquilt small projects and am thankful for FMQ.