Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
question on quilt border >

question on quilt border

question on quilt border

Old 07-26-2014, 01:49 PM

Default question on quilt border

I am making a queen size quilt top from a design that I created in EQ7 (the eq7 design is in blue). I’m doing it in purples, using scraps from my stash to see the 3D effect that using different values of purples will give. I’ve finished everything but the outermost border. Now, I hadn’t realized how hard that border will be. The rest of the top is made from HSTs, but the border triangles are an irregular size. My choices seem to be either using templates that I can print out from EQ7 or paper piecing, which I will again need to print out from EQ7 and then tape together, and use. I’m wondering if anyone can make suggestions as to which I should do, or if there is a better way to do it.
Attached Thumbnails purple-scrappy-2.jpg   purple-scrappy-eq7.jpg  
Old 07-26-2014, 01:56 PM

I have no idea what the best way is to do your border but just wanted to say I love your GORGEOUS quilt!!!
Old 07-26-2014, 01:57 PM

Pretty! I think paper piecing will give you the most accurate results.
Old 07-26-2014, 02:13 PM
Power Poster

If you change the outside triangles so that they come just even to the inside of the narrow inner border instead of to the outside of that border then they will be nicely sized and easily cut. If you don't want to do that, then I think paper piecing or templates would be my choice. It is going to make a very nice quilt.
Old 07-26-2014, 02:42 PM

How about changing the width of the outside border so that you can make flying geese or HST's to create the design across?
Beautiful!
Old 07-26-2014, 02:47 PM

Do it like flying geese. Cut a white rectangle the size you need, and cut blue rectangles to fit. So, for example, if your border pieces are 6x4 finished , then you would cut 6.5 x 4.5" white rectangles, and 2 blue rectangles 3.5x4.5". Lay a blue rectangle on the white, against one end, and sew along the diagonal. Cut, flip, press just like a flying goose. Then do the same with the other end.
Old 07-26-2014, 03:09 PM

I think I would either change the number of outside triangles, increasing them so they form more of a straight line at the corners, or increase the width of the border so that the triangles are right angle triangles. I've attached a few drawings to show you what I mean and I included one that uses HSTs in the corners for a different look.

If you stay with your current designs, I would print out a template, since you'll only need to print one. With paper piecing you'd have a lot more to print, or print then trace.
Attached Thumbnails bigblock2.jpg   bigblock3.jpg   bigblock4.jpg  
Old 07-26-2014, 03:16 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by katier825 View Post
Pretty! I think paper piecing will give you the most accurate results.
i agree
Old 07-26-2014, 03:23 PM

You can change the border style to "blocks" using as many blocks as you need to capture the size of triangle that you want. Then you can print each "block" as a separate unit to paper piece and join them after paper piecing.

Lovely quilt!
Old 07-26-2014, 07:55 PM

Oh this is going to be a beautiful quilt!!! It rather looks as though most of your border "triangles" are HRT or half rectangle triangles...would that work? Then I would paper piece the funny triangles going into the corners with your corners. Just a stunning quilt!