Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question for quilters with multiple sewing machines >

Question for quilters with multiple sewing machines

Question for quilters with multiple sewing machines

Old 06-21-2011, 11:21 AM

Guilty! I have 3 I use, 2 that need worked on and two that look pretty. Were getting ready to move and DH said I had to choose. Ahhhhhh but how...... so the embroidery machine and the Kenmore and the serger is going with me!! Unless I can negotiate some more!! I'm waiting to see how many his tools are moving!!
Old 06-21-2011, 11:22 AM

I do have 3 machines. One older that is stored because my late father-in-law was the only one who could keep it running properly, the one I was using up till about 6 months ago, and the new one that is the one im using now.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:24 AM

There is a difference between what you want & what you need. As you are young & getting along with just one machine, I think you should have other priorities like savings to think of so that you can quilt in retirement. If you were not reading the QB posts, would you even think that you "needed" another machine? Quilting should be a controlled addiction when you have limited funds.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:25 AM

Let's see:
Brother Pacesetter NX400 for general sewing and piece work,
Bother Innovis 4000D, it's a combo machine but used for embroidery only,
Brother PQ1500s I use on my frame for quilting,
my first serger and old Toyota, it needs some work but I'm not ready to give it up yet
and finally, my step-daughter has her great-grandmother's treadle her. She doesn't know it but I really don't want her to come get it. I'm afraid she'll loose it somewhere.

So total count in the house: 5
Old 06-21-2011, 11:37 AM

5, two were donations, 1 embroidery, 1 that I use daily, and a serger, just order #6 today for my frame.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:40 AM

Eleven was hardly toward the upper end of the range of responses. Some people collect vintage machines, just as some people collect spoons, ceramic figures, guns, handbags, jewelry, cars, antlers, etc. Who is to judge what is worthwhile to collect or not? Personally, I think sewing machines are among the more worthwhile things to collect, because they are USEFUL, and many of them hold or even increase in value, such that they could be sold off if need be. We all really only need three outfits for each season, right? One to wear, one in the wash, one ready to wear. Of my machines, 2 are out on loan, 2 are "clunkers" waiting to be trade-ins, 3 are featherweights (and I have two kids who want to inherit one each). I have multiple machines for my own use and pleasure. I mean, who needs any of this silly quilting hobby? We can all just buy blankets made in sweatshops, right?
Old 06-21-2011, 11:43 AM

I have 6 that I use quite regularly. Since my sewing room is being renovated right now, the goal is to line all of the ones I use up so that I can get to them easily. I have the set up to do different functions. Like I have a singer 15-91 that is my dream when it comes to sewing on binding. No clunking sounds. I have one set up for ruffles,one that I call my main one, cause I do most sewing on it. I have one set up for decorative stitching and circular sewing. I have a serger and 2 embroidery machines.. Then I have 2 treadles. I like knowing that if the power goes out I can still sew things together. And I have a Cinderella machine that works but will be on a shelf in there for looks. And a handcrank with roses on the bed. And it's always a good idea to have back up machines. I ended up in the midst of a project one time. Only had one machine and was not able to sew for like 2 weeks. That really set me back. So I guess it depends on how much you sew and how many things you like doing when you sew.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:50 AM

Hi. I have 2 brother machinies. One is a regular machine with a needle threader and you can oil and clean it yourself.
I wanted a computerized machine. It is great for many things like stitched other than zig zag and straitht stitch.
I had it for less than a year and had to have it cleaned which cost almost as much as the machine cost in the first place. The instructions don't include any maintenance other than cleaning the dust out. So I don't use it as often anymore. And the needle threader is difficult to use. Lowell ;)
Old 06-21-2011, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by sewwhat85
i have 4 featherweights 3 sewing machines 1 embroidery machine and 2 longarm quilting machines 2 sergers 1 treadle

I wanna come to your house Nancy. LOL :)
Old 06-21-2011, 11:53 AM

I have 4.
My Janome 6600P that I use most of the time.
A brother that I use outside or in a different room and consider it my backup.
A Kenmore that my hubby(then boyfriend) bought for my high
school graduation (1975). It is real workhorse and I use it for sewing anything heavy.
A treadle that I inherited from my hubby's family. Don't use, but would like to some day.
Looking at an embroidery machine to buy soon.