Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Question: raw edge applique

I'm (new to applique) working on a raw edge applique small landscape piece with flowers in the foreground. I have fused the landscape elements in the background to the background fabric. Now, should I sew down those pieces before fusing the foreground flowers and foliage? Or should I wait until I have all pieces on the background fabric? Some of the foreground will cover over some the background landscape. But waiting until I add the foreground pieces will make sewing the background just a bit harder (instead of sewing one line, I'll be stopping to 'jump' over stems, leaves, etc.).

Also, do you sew in any details you want to do in thread (like defining petal creases, etc.) before you put the applique, batting and backing together?

One more question: can I use polyester thread for defining details (no embroidery machine) or will it just pull out of the piece, as one salesperson told me.

Thanks for any help.

There is a wonderful tutorial on here that was done using a Yoni whitney pattern.

Blog Entries
    I fuse everything first, then applique, and add details. I don't see why you couldn't use poly thread either.

Thanks. I saw the Toni Whitney pattern tutorial, but I don't think the quilter sewed anything down in the tute I saw (a horse applique). Maybe there is a different one?

Here's what I learned in a class I took. She fused things down then did all the stitching around each piece as needed ( of course if something is over it you can't do that part ). Then add any detail you want to leaves, etc. Then you put your quilt sandwich together and quilt it. You may use poly thread for it. She used all types of thread to get the look she wanted.

Thanks, maine ladybug. I guess there are no rules, so I'm going to study my piece and decide what to do. Of course, I HAD to do an original design, so no instructions to follow :)

Blog Entries
    I stitch after they are all in place, other wise the stitching can show through the top pieces, and the top ones don't like to stick as well to where the bottom ones are stitched on :D:D:D

Quote Originally Posted by amma
    I stitch after they are all in place, other wise the stitching can show through the top pieces, and the top ones don't like to stick as well to where the bottom ones are stitched on :D:D:D
    That makes sense. Thanks, Amma.