Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Question re: embroidery applique

Hi I want to know if I can use embroidery applique patterns for quilting? I understand when doing an applique in the hoop, it outlines it first, then stops so you can place the fabric in place, then goes over it again.
    My question - if I stop it after it does the outline, would it show enough of the design to tell what it is? I would like to use some of the appliques I see for just the outline quilting, but don't want to spend money on them if I cannot use them the way I want.
    Thanks to all for your suggestions.

Hi,

If the design is just a simple one, like an apple for example, you could get the shape from the first stitch outline. But, if it has parts say like a scarecrow or something that had parts (hat, hair, eyes, etc.) you wouldn't have the other pieces, just an outline.

How about if you printed off the picture of the design from your computer, could you just trace the different pieces then? If you have the option of printing it in different sizes that'd work great I would think.

I have many applique embroidery designs, but have a program that would allow me to print it in different sizes.

Hope this helps....embroidery applique is fun and always turns out so great!

Bev

What about using a redwork type of design, one color.

redwork works great... I've thought of using the basic applique too.... as long as it is basic and simple I dont know why it would not work.

Blog Entries
    I bought some designs from elibrary that were just one pass with the machine for quilting. works really well.

thanks all.... I do have several designs from different Embroidery sites that I have purchased and I love using them. But recently I have seen some really cute applique designs I wondered if I could use.

Blog Entries
    My only thought would be if the beginning/ending stitches would lock enough? You may have to hand tie and hide the knots. Other wise, these should work great for quilting designs :D:D:D