Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
question re fusible applique >

question re fusible applique

question re fusible applique

Old 10-14-2010, 01:07 PM

I am just finishing up a fusible applique project (quilt), I fused it, blanket stitched around each piece and now after quilting all around each applique, the applique is kind of bubbling up. I was going to just do a small meander in each applique to hold it down and make it look better but due to the fusible?(a bit stiff, also), my stitches look kind of loose. Any ideas, I am kind of wondering if it will look even worse after washing it.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:38 PM

What fusible did you use? Some fusibles can be sewn on and some can't.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:39 PM

I'm not sure what would make the applique bubble up if the fusible was ironed on. I use Seam N' Seam & if it is a larger applique piece I trim out the center to avoid bulk or stiffness in the applique.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:42 PM
Power Poster

you should have put some stabilizer behind it first. that helps prevent puckering.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:50 PM

I think I explained this wrong. The fusible worked well (lite but still a bit stiff) and I blanket stitched it on fine to the fabric. Then when I put the batting & backing on and smoothed it out, I quilted around each piece & I must have not held it tight enough so due to the quilting it kind of bubbled up. Its not horrible but I am worried it will look pretty bad after a washing. I think maybe this fusible (steam a seam lite) doesn't take to quilting on it very well, has anybody done FMQ on it and if so, did it work OK?
Old 10-14-2010, 01:54 PM

I'm assuming that the bubbling up is not that the fusible and the fabric are separating but that the applique is standing out more prominently since you quilted around it. some quilters work hard to get that look, but you need to decide if that's what you like. As one poster said, you could put some stabilizer behind it, but that also adds stiffness to the quilt that you may not like. If you want to try something to fix it, is it possible to release the blanket stitch and repress the applique? I might flatten out the applique a little more and then you could do re-do the blanket stitch. If you redo it on the machine, it will show on the back, of course, but you could do it by hand to keep it from showing on the back.
Old 10-14-2010, 02:04 PM
Power Poster

It sounds like you may have stretched your backing too much, or maybe didn't get your top flattened out enough (basted well enough?)
I do fusible applique, and don't have this problem in the fused areas... so I am thinking it has to do with your sandwiching :wink:
Old 10-14-2010, 02:27 PM

Yes, Amma, I think you have explained what I did wrong! There is so much meandering around it that I will never it apart so I might just end up with a bubbly quilt! So far I have made just "butt" ugly, crooked stiff, or lumpy so I guess this one will be my bubble quilt! Thanks, all, I will finish it and get a picture soon, I hope.
Old 10-15-2010, 06:33 AM

If your fabric is bubbling off the fusible, chances ae you just didn't iron the fusible on long enough or hot enough. I have had this happen , and sometimes just repressing smoothed it out. You need to really check directions for udsing fusibles. Some need steam, some don't, and pressing together really needs a hard surface to iron on.
Old 10-15-2010, 10:08 AM

If you do a little quilting on the appliques it'll help. Even just a simple line or two that goes with the applique makes a big difference. Like on leaves just a vein down the center helps a whole lot. Or on flowers just a few lines from the center out on each petal will flatten it out.