Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Question re Sisters, Oregon quilts

I know this show has been going on for years and years and I'm glad its grown to the stature it currently enjoys. However, every time I see pictures of the show I shudder. 2 days of hanging in intense glaring sun??? Do the people who hang the quilts in full sun know something I should know? I've always read to keep quilts out of the sun. What am I missing? Thanks.

Posted this in PICTURES by mistake.
    I know this show has been going on for years and years and I'm glad its grown to the stature it currently enjoys. However, every time I see pictures of the show I shudder. 2 days of hanging in intense glaring sun??? Do the people who hang the quilts in full sun know something I should know? I've always read to keep quilts out of the sun. What am I missing? Thanks.

Pam
    A couple of days is not like the sun beaming in the window day after day for years is what I am sure that they would tell you.

There is also a new product on the market that is like sunblock for fabric, it does wash out, but I am planning on getting some for my art quilts, they are way too ornate to ever wash, even by hand, so for me that will not be an issue.

Blog Entries
    They don't hang for two days. This is a one day show. They start hanging quilts at 7 a.m. on Saturday morning and start taking them down at 4:30 that same day. That's why it's so exhausting. You have only a few hours to see hundreds of quilts. There are quilts hanging inside the stores all week, but the one hung outside are only there one day.

Blog Entries
    My message posted twice and I don't know why, but figured no one wants to read it twice, so am deleting the second post.

Quote Originally Posted by JudyG
    They don't hang for two days. This is a one day show. They start hanging quilts at 7 a.m. on Saturday morning and start taking them down at 4:30 that same day. That's why it's so exhausting. You have only a few hours to see hundreds of quilts. There are quilts hanging inside the stores all week, but the one hung outside are only there one day.
    I had wondered about this as well. Thanks for the explanation, Judy.

JudyG is correct. It can get quite hot there...but I've attended when it was mild. Sunbonnets are fashionable in the high desert! For some reason the ambiance is great there! I love seeing it all but get "quilt overload" after about 5 hours. It truly is worth the experience.

Also, I believe it is a non-judged show. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.