Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question regarding Connecting Thread fabric >

Question regarding Connecting Thread fabric

Question regarding Connecting Thread fabric

Old 10-26-2012, 07:43 AM

Default Question regarding Connecting Thread fabric

I have purchased a couple times from Connecting thread (love the threads and feel of the fabrics) but so far, haven't washed the fabrics as I use them in bags/purses etc. My sister fell in love with a Bow Tuck I just made from their new Shimmering Frost line in one of the black designs and wants the same fabric for uniform blouses for her office staff in Vanuatu. I also need new uniform tops made for my staff at my Cafe in Vanuatu, and want the solid black I got from the,. Question is, how will they stand up to repeated washing? I worry about fading and loosing its crispness and turning limp ad flimsy. Also, how badly will they wrinkle when washed? HELP PLEASE before I spend a fortune and have to replace them again in 6 months.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:00 AM

I think the only thing to do is to order some and put it in every load that you wash and see how it holds up and how bad it wrinkles. I am thinking that it is going to wrinkle a lot for clothing but could be wrong. I haven't used any of their fabrics yet.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:05 AM
Power Poster

if you are using it for utility wear, i would rather go with a cotton/poly blend that will stay blacker and not wrinkle as much. jmho
Old 10-26-2012, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
if you are using it for utility wear, i would rather go with a cotton/poly blend that will stay blacker and not wrinkle as much. jmho
That would normally be my first choice, but this is for the tropics where it is really hot and humid, and my cafe, being on the harbor, doesn't have air conditioning so I want fabric that breaths. I might end up with that, but have always used 100% cotton in the past. Thanks for your input!
Old 10-26-2012, 05:08 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Cotton WILL wrinkle. Poly blends are designed not to wrinkle so much.
The best black fabric to hold it's color is Kona Cotton Black, in my opinion. It is thread dyed rather than over-dyed after weaving. But, that is no guarantee of keeping perfect color in constant washing conditions. The water you use, the detergent, the method of drying, how often and how you treat for stains, will all affect the color and condition of the fabric.

Jan in VA