Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question...storage of fabric. >

Question...storage of fabric.

Question...storage of fabric.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:11 PM

Wow, thanks for all of your input. I was sure that I would not be in the minority in wanting shelves. I just don't get it that DH thinks that the shelves are not as space saving as drawers. I guess it is time for me to draw the line and say, "Look, I love all the help that you gave to me but now I need to personalize it for my liking. It has to be shelves. If I run out of room, then I need to down size some more." haha I certainly can see good reason for some drawers, but also I WANT shelves!! He is one of those kinds of people that thinks that everything needs to be hidden away to be neat and orderly.

It was disappointing to me to find out that I have to wait until a long time and more posts before I can sell here. I have so many great books to get rid of. Well,I will just keep on posting! I love the interaction here on the board but it takes away my working time to read and post..when I am supposed to be working to reorganize and sort! When I finish filling my one cabinet, I will take a photo and see if I can get it posted on here. Quite some time ago I found some little plastic basket things that my patterns fit in perfectly. Love those little guys. Also in another part of this quilting forum I found the tutorial on using sign board for little bolts. Yayy, my son has a sign business. I am going to email him right now to see if he has any of that coroplast on hand. I love this board and ALL the help that is on here. My one regret is that there is no one else doing the Quilted Diamonds quilt to get me motivated again to get started back with it. quilted diamonds, anyone??
Old 06-16-2011, 09:18 PM

I have done both shelves and drawers ... definitely prefer shelves. I put my FQ in rectangle clear plastic salad containers from grocery store. I can separate them by color etc, set them on the shelf and still see what I have. I got the idea from Stash Manicure at Blogspot. Everyone in my family saves the containers for me. Good thing for me that we are all big salad eaters!
Old 06-16-2011, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt
I keep everything but selvages.. This is how my room is organized..

These are in 30 gal see thru tubs no matter what size pieces they are:
Holiday- each holiday (xmas, 4th, halloweenie, easter, etc) have its own tub
Flannel
Vintage fabric (35in xWOF)- all goes in one tub
Authentic 30's feedsacks

All my Bolts (3+yards) are on the bookcase and in walk in closet.
All my 1-2 yards cuts are ruler folded, then separated by theme (floral, kids prints, Asian, animal, Civil war, 1930, etc) and solids, blenders, and the rest are separated by color on bookcases

Batiks are in a clear sterilite three drawer separated by light med dark..
Fqs are separated by color, floral, novelty in it's own sections on wall cd racks, closet maid 24/36 bin shoe organizers.. Each area has its own 'theme' so i can find what I'm looking for.

My scraps are in specific see- thru bins, tubs and drawers depending on size..

Each Accuquilt Die cut shapes have a clear sterilite drawer all of its own- I do have most if not all the dies already.. lol..
strips less than10 inches but longer than 5 inches of has a a clear sterilite drawer all of its own
Strips longer than 10 inches but less than WOF has a clear sterilite drawer all of its own
2 inch strips are hanging on the back of the door
1.5 x wof has a clear sterilite drawer all of its own
2.5 x WOF strips has a a clear sterilite drawer all of its own
3x WOF strips have a clear sterilite drawer all of its own
5x WOF strips have a clear sterilite drawer all of its own
all other strips x WOF are separated by colors and has a clear sterilite drawer all of its own
Crumbs have a clear sterilite drawer all of its own
Scraps less than a fq but larger than 6x6 has a clear sterilite drawer all of its own- these are waiting to be cut with my Accuquilt
2 in sq have a clear sterilite drawer all of its own
3 in sq have a clear sterilite drawer all of its own
4 in sq have a clear sterilite drawer all of its own
5 in sq have a clear sterilite drawer all of its own

And that's how my room is organized..

I followed Bonnies method.. www.quiltville.com.
Thanks for the ideas. I needed them.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:23 PM

Natalieg, I am showing that photo to my husband. He will think it looks like "messy" because it is not in a drawer out of sight but I think it is lovely! I think he thinks that I am the only one with lots of fabric! I just love my cabinet with the shelves...the fabric looks so pretty in there. I just stare at it sometimes. All my whites and off whites in one pile, all my batiks stacked so nicely, and my many pieces of Christmas...oh, so pretty! I have not finished with filling it yet. Many tubs of my fabric are still waiting in the pump house needing to be put away in it however I am going to figure out how to do it.

Fat quarters are tough to put away or store, it seems to me. I don't mind sticking them in a drawer folded like we did in the quilt shops where I have worked. I have lots of fqs since I am doing a drunkard path out of 30's reproductions...all different fabrics. As well I have started a yo yo flower quilt with lots of pastel small prints. And Let's face it, I love fat quarters just ot have. Time to go sort some more or go to bed. Which shall it be?? That is my question.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:24 PM

Another vote for shelves...same reasons as given above.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by snicker dee
I have done both shelves and drawers ... definitely prefer shelves. I put my FQ in rectangle clear plastic salad containers from grocery store. I can separate them by color etc, set them on the shelf and still see what I have. I got the idea from Stash Manicure at Blogspot. Everyone in my family saves the containers for me. Good thing for me that we are all big salad eaters!
I will have to try that. Sounds like a good idea. It will take a boat load of salad containers to contain all my FQs!
Old 06-16-2011, 09:28 PM

The only drawers I have are used to keep little things away from my helper, (Otis, my devil cat) like my thimbel, bobbins, thread, pincushion, needles, rippers, ect. all the small things she likes to take off with and hide!All my fabric is neetly folded and kept in an old china hutch.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:29 PM

I vote for shelves. I have a set of shallow drawers that I keep some frequently used thread, needles, bobbins, sewing machine books, etc. ALL my fabric is on shelves of some sort, folded different widths according to how much I have.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:00 PM

I use dressers and lower storage units with drawers. Keeps all neat and clean.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:44 PM

Shelves/Cabinets with doors to keep the sun out are the best.