Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question ?? >

Question ??

Question ??

Old 06-06-2011, 10:17 AM

All great answers. I go one step further and fold the excess backing over the batt up to the tops outer most seam allowance and baste it in place. This protects the batt and prevents it from catching in the sewing machine foot.

Sandy
Old 06-06-2011, 11:16 AM

I take the extra backing that you have hanging out and fold it tot he front and hand baste it with BIG stitches up to the edge of the front of the quilt. This protects the batting and stops the extra batting along the edges from sloughing off. Just a thought! Jan
Old 06-06-2011, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Alexa
I just comopleted my first full-size quilt, a commission for a neighbor. I'm thrilled with how it came out, but I have a question. While quilting the sandwich, the whole thing got covered in lint from the batting. On the backside there were lots of places where the stiching went over the lint and I had to gently pull it out from under the stitches with a fingernail. I left three or four inches of batting sticking out the sides while quilting. Too much? How do you deal with this? I'm going to buy stock in lint rollers before I do my next full-size quilt! I'll post pics of the quilt later today. Thanks!
I always have to trim several inches of batting when I pick up my quilt from the LA quilter. I save the batting and piece it to make whole pieces of batting. froggyintexas
Old 06-06-2011, 01:36 PM

Where in England are you? Any good quilt shops worth Checking out? We are heading to the UK on the weekend. Besides London we are also visiting Bath & Portsmouth. Hey hope your having a good vacation.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by dunster
I'm completely amazed at how fast you all answered my question!! Thanks.
If you want to be even more amazed - I'm answering while on vacation in England!
Welcome to England, whereabouts are you visiting? i hope you are enjoying your visit, let me know if you come to the North East, can highly recommend it, lots to see and do and very friendly. Eileen
Old 06-06-2011, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by My time
Where in England are you? Any good quilt shops worth Checking out? We are heading to the UK on the weekend. Besides London we are also visiting Bath & Portsmouth. Hey hope your having a good vacation.
Hi, if you come North give me a shout, although it looks as though you are going in a totally different direction. I hope you enjoy your visit especially to Bath, I have never been but it is on my list of places to visit.

Eileen
Old 06-06-2011, 04:21 PM

Sounds like an irratating problem. Good luck removing all the lint
Old 06-07-2011, 02:13 AM

OK, so now you'll know that I'm really nuts. But I can't stand the FEEL of batting -- it makes my teeth itch :o)-- so this is what I do: I fold the batting and backing to the front leaving the backing wrapped in the backing. Then I baste or pin it in place. This way I don't feel the batting as I'm sewing.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Rhonda
I'm completely amazed at how fast you all answered my question!! Thanks.
If you want to be even more amazed - I'm answering while on vacation in England!
we are going to see pictures aren't we dunster?????? Hope you're having fun!!
Thanks. I start home on Tuesday. I've taken many pictures of antique quilts in historic homes and castles and will post a bunch of them when I get home and have a chance to get them organized.
Yay! So excited! :lol: Hope you had a great vacation.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:58 PM

A QUILTER from my quilt club was using bamboo batting and she hated it . it made a lot of fuzz. .