Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question? Thinking about opening a small quilt shop in my community >

Question? Thinking about opening a small quilt shop in my community

Question? Thinking about opening a small quilt shop in my community

Old 01-23-2015, 06:52 PM

I feel bad for the local quilt shops, it would be tough. As much as I want to support the ones in my area I find that I don't. Partly because I don't have much free cash for buying what I want. And I work full time which usually when the classes are. I have to pinch my pennies and the online stores have such larger selection and better prices. To stock the inventory to please people would cost of fortune.
Old 01-23-2015, 07:24 PM

If a quilt shop carries Retayne, I am happy.
Old 01-23-2015, 07:50 PM

I only shop in my LQS. I buy fabric, batting, and thread. I don't buy patterns. I buy the odd notion, but not much. I rely on my LQS for fabric because I like to see and feel the fabric I buy.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:54 PM
Power Poster

You might want to specialize with only a few lines of fabtic. As far as notions go

We went to a shop recently that only had fabric and patterns. Reason: people can (and will) buy those items for less elsewhere.

You also need to consider the financial situation of most of the people in your area.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:24 PM

you do not make a lot of money just selling fabric. but you need lots of variety, civil war, jewel tones, solid, amish, and you need LOTS of samples of completed quilts, pillowcases, table runners etc..hanging and offer classes to make them or kits made up for sale. You need knowledgeable staff and above all friendly helpful atmosphere. It is a learning curve, for you to find out what it is that is needed in your area. You could go talk to a local quilt guild to see what they would expect from a new shop in the area.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:31 PM

We're blessed with several local quilt shops in our area, in addition to the standard large chain stores. i often wonder how they all stay in business, but each seems to have a special, different feel.

One specializes in southwest designs, kits, patterns and colors, as well as carrying long arm machines.
Another has lots of bright modern colors and prints but I really didn't like their fabric--not my style--so I haven't returned. They were very friendly, though.
Another is a stuck-up "we sell these hoity-toity brand machines" shop with a meagre supply of fabric; I don't go there.
Still another is a modern store but with a very wide range of fabric, and has a lot of classes including on weekends (even Sundays) and evenings.
One I'd found listed on the internet, but thought it had closed because it doesn't participate in the annual "quilt stroll" nor do they keep up their website...but when I discovered it WAS still open, I found it had a good selection of fabrics and patterns I liked. They have cats in the store, and some people don't appreciate that.
The closest store is run by a very friendly couple, and has come to specialize in block-of-the-month series; they also have a good selection of fabrics of various kinds: orientals, civil war repro, 1930s repro, batiks, and they're arranged by collection/type, not just color. They're my favorite. They have lots of special promotion days, a $40 for the year Saturday Sampler Mystery quilt, etc.

If you're looking into opening a shop, I'd think you'd want to emphasize something not well-served by other shops in the area. Also, I rarely buy notions in LQSs, because they are so expensive there. The exception is something special or unusual, and not carried by the chains.

I don't order much fabric online because I want to feel it, see the actual color and sheen, etc. which is imposible online.

Just my 2c,
Hallie in NM
Old 01-23-2015, 11:13 PM

I think, one of the things you need to consider fabric wise is not to be swayed too much by your own taste. I know in the clothes business you are always buying at least a season ahead and sometimes the colours/designs are not always to your taste. The big producers like Moda and Kona, bring out different ranges each season, you have to put personal choice out the window and stock what will sell, which is not always what you personally like.
Old 01-24-2015, 12:09 AM

I worked at a quilt store and was responsible for ordering and like notmorecraft said you don't order just what appeals to you. I would always have two other persons with me when I ordered for suggestion and relied on the vendor's rep. The reps want to help you succeed because then you will continue to purchase from them. We had inventory of $100,000, that was Fabric, regular 42" bolts plus 100" backings, Batting, notions and several king of thread for sewing, crocheting, knitting, quilting and embroidering.

We were in a small farming community without any sewing supplies stores besides what grocery stores carry.

We had a sewing circle that quilted on site every Monday morning, the quilts were auctioned for charity. --Sorry to say that many of the quilters are now gone--average age was 75 to 93...

Sorry to ramble on but times are changing and even I will wait for 50% off coupon for JoAnns for notions....not for fabric. For Fabric I wait for annual sales at LQS when most are at least 25% off...

If you could go to International Quilt Market (October) in Houston, TX they have workshop on Quilt store startup. There is another in Chicago March 26-29.

Research, research, research.
Old 01-24-2015, 01:48 AM

I just started quilting this past Fall and I'm sorry to say, I have not been to any of our LQS's. When I retired last May, I had decided I wanted to do charity quilts. While I want the quilts to be nice, I obviously can't pay a high price for fabrics. Our local Ben Franklin has tables of nice fabrics (flat folds) priced $3.99, $5:99 and $7.99 a yard as well as bolt fabrics for $10 - $13 a yard. Our local Hancock Fabrics has been running such great sales and with coupons for an add'l 20% to 40% off sale prices. I have purchased a lot at Hancock recently because of this.

What nearby competition do you have? Friendly customer service very important. As far as inventory of fabric, batting and thread, I would suggest rotary cutters, basic rulers and a few cutting mats especially to attract beginners to be able to buy in one place.
Old 01-24-2015, 02:11 AM
Power Poster

You should also offer reasonable priced classes.The biggest complaint I hear from my quilting friends is the silly prices our LQS charge to take a class.$35.00-$45.00 plus fabric and book/pattern is just to pricy.
And be honest. I just took a class and a requirement was we buy 5 yards of fabric from the shop. Thats reasonable but when we took the class we only used 2 yds. of the fabric. I made a mistake on one block so she said i neede to buy more fabric. Now I have spent money on fabric I dont need and will never shop there again because she lied.