Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Question for those who make minatures or really tiny pieced quilts

Question Question for those who make minatures or really tiny pieced quilts

I'm cleaning out my scrap box and cutting into pieces and finding that I have a lot of tiny pieces as I don't use anything smaller than 1 1/2 inches. My question is what is the smallest size piece/square you could use as I'll save those to do a PIF and throw the rest out. I don't want to save things and then someone be disappointed because the pieces are too small for them to use. Thank you!
    It's not a mistake, it's an unconscious decision to change the pattern.

Kas
    I would only go one inch unless I was just sewing scraps together without a plan. I think most mini makers trim their seam allowances to 1/8", but start with 1/4". So to get a 1/4" block element, you would need at least 3/4". Even though I love all things mini, my eyes and hands aren't what they were 20 years ago. I am just too fumble fingered and blind! And I am only 45! Are you planning on saving the scraps for yourself? Or are you going to gift them? It seems like a lot of work to sort and save such tiny scraps without a for sure home for them.
    Outside of a dog, a book is Man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.-Groucho Marx

you could use the off-cuts for stuffing critters ...
    Liz / Calgary

Wow, I like that idea!! You guys never fail to amaze me with your cost saving ideas!! I think i will begin saying my scraps for stuffing.. I am always making things for my grandchildren that needs stuffing...good one!! Thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Liz92B View Post
    you could use the off-cuts for stuffing critters ...

i donate alot of the itty bitty pieces to the local pre=school they are *just their size*!
    the kids use them to decorate shoe boxes for christmas gifts- and other items- they call them their (treasure boxes) and all love them- one of the pre-schools i've been doing this project with for almost 10 years now- one of those projects they look forward to every year- along with their coloring picture a,b,c quilts they make every year for a fund raiser
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Blog Entries
    You could check with Rhonda if you plan to pass them on. She works in minis and I think she told me that she uses as small as 3/4" (Crazy Woman! lol)
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

k3n posted a really pretty picture of a confetti art quilt -- very tiny pieces.

OKSewGlad does the minis .... and most of her work is done with 3/4" pieces!!!

I've been doing some crumb blocks, here and there ... and will work with the teeniest and tinyest in them.

So it really depends on what a person is going to do with them as to how small is usable!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Katydid2 View Post
    k3n posted a really pretty picture of a confetti art quilt -- very tiny pieces.
    I was thinking this very same thing
    “The simplest toy, one which even the youngest child can operate, is called a grandparent.” Sam Levenson

Blog Entries
    i just used 1.25" squares for a mini
    Nancy in western NY

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast