Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: question on thread

question on thread

This forum has been an invaluable source of information over the years for me. I have learned so much. I haven't posted any pictures lately because my camera is on the fritz. But I do have a thread question I'm hoping someone can answer. I recently purchased the sewing machine of my dreams and when talking to the service tech he recommended I use Mettler or Aurofil thread instead of the Gutermann that I've been purchasing on sale at Joann's. Does anyone know of a place online that sells Mettler or Aurofil for reasonable prices?

Blog Entries
    I always Google.

What machine did you buy? I am having a terrible time with my Janome 8200 skipping stitches and I typically have used Guterman for years with my 6600 without even one glitch. If I knew that I would have to double the price of my thread, I probably would have thought long and hard before buying this machine because there was nothing wrong with my 6600.

I bought the Bernina 750QE. So far, so good.

Blog Entries
    I can't help with where to buy it but if you try Aurofil I think you will really like it. It is at first look, expensive , around 8 - 12 dollars a spool, but what a difference in sewing. And a spool of 'A' lasts as close to forever as you can get.
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

Blog Entries
    Sue is closing down her online store, but you may still find good deals on Aurifil thread. I prefer the orange spool (50wt 2-ply) for piecing and quilting on my domestic machine (Bernina 1230). Here is a link:
    http://www.sewezdesigns.com/Aurifil1.html

This is another online website that has good deals on Aurifil. It usually means buying a pack, though:
    http://www.tristan.bc.ca/specials.html

Red Rock has $5 shipping, so sometimes I buy here too:
    http://www.redrockthreads.com/aurifil-thread/

You are smart to follow the tech's instructions - Berninas are fussy about what thread they work best with. That is a great machine and you will love it!

fabric.com carries Aurafil, Superior Threads carries many different threads, as does Connecting Threads and Atlanta Thread Company...the reason (if he didn't give you one) is: the Guterman threads (cotton) tend to break easily and cause ALOT of lint in machines...they aren't bad for hand sewing- or old singers that don't have computers & a lot of high tech stuff to get caked with lint.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy
    Colleen's custom quilting; longarm services and custom quilt commissions.

Why change unless gutermann isn't working for you. It works the same as mettler IMHO. Does your dealer sell it is that why they are suggesting it. I say continue to use what you want
    Brother XL-3500i, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D

Blog Entries
    I have an older Bernina and it sews great with every brand of thread I've tried. I think needle size and correct tension is the key to good stitches. I have no problem using monofilament or metallic thread on any of my machines once I get the tension set for it. I use all brands of thread but I use 60 wt or higher thread in the bobbin. My favorite bobbin thread is 80 wt Genziana or Aurifil thread.

I buy both at Tristan and the Genziana Cotton Mako 50wt/2ply is the same if not better thread then Aurifil.
    Got fabric?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast