Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question on using Batik fabrics >

Question on using Batik fabrics

Question on using Batik fabrics

Old 08-26-2013, 12:58 PM

Default Question on using Batik fabrics

I have been lurking and gathering all of your opinions now for quite some time. I have sewed garments for many years and have done some wall hangings for the past two years. I now want to make my grandson a rail fence quilt made out of Batik fabric but am afraid to use it! My fear is that it will fade and run something awful. Should I use just quilting cotton? Thanks for your help.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:13 PM
Power Poster

Batiks are fine. A lot of people prewash batiks, but I don't unless I suspect a color might run. I *always* do my first wash of a quilt at the laundromat in a large washer (that uses lots of hot water) and with Synthrapol. This way any bleeds are sufficiently diluted (by the water) and any loose dye particles are kept suspended in the water (by the Synthrapol) so they do not settle into any other fabrics. I also am careful not to allow wet fabrics to lie against each other. I immediately move the quilt to the laundromat dryer.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:26 PM
Power Poster

if you buy deeply saturated colors in your batiks just pre-wash them- batiks are wonderful to work with and make beautiful quilts! don't be afraid to use them- once you do you may find them to be your new favorite fabrics.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:29 PM

I'm a dedicated pre-washer ... especially with batiks, especially dark and or vibrant colored batiks. I'll wash all deep colored batiks at least twice in HOT water. Beginning with the 2nd pre-wash I'll toss in a color catcher, then just keep washing until the color catcher is clear.

For me, it's worth the extra effort as I love working with batiks. The weave is nice and tight, little fray, and if you are using it for paper piecing or applique you don't have to reverse patterns because both sides of the batik are pretty much identical.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:41 PM

I have had success with Retayne but it is work. I bought an aluminum roasting pan and cooked like colors per directions and then let it dry. I have a front load washer so I didn't think that method would work.

Use Retayne when you pre-wash the fabrics to help set the dyes. Do NOT use it on a completed quilt, as it will fix any dyes that have migrated to the other fabrics and you'll never get them out.

After you've completed the quilt, use another product called Synthrapol. This keeps any dye that gets into the water from settling on other fabrics.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:53 PM

Batiks are probably worth the prewashing. I've only used very few because they just are not my taste, but one that I did use really changed color in the wash.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:04 PM
Power Poster

I've used batiks for years and I've found pre-washing is a must. But I also believe in washing with color catchers and in cold water. I also give color catchers and washing instructions when I gift a batik quilt.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:17 PM

I love batiks, some colors run, some don't. My best luck has been with moda batiks.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:48 PM

I'd love to know where you buy Synthrapol. I googled it, and it brought up several different kinds. So, I need to know which kind to get, also. I am about half way finished with a batik quilt that was not prewashed, so it will definitely need to be washed. I also like the idea of taking it to a laundromat to wash and dry. It is a queen size, so I don't think it would wash well in my regular washer.
Old 08-26-2013, 03:14 PM

I washed a piece of batik at least 30 times, and it is still running. I fell in love with a navy batik, and want to use it, but it's still running.