Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question for you Longarmers >

Question for you Longarmers

Question for you Longarmers

Old 10-10-2012, 04:44 PM

Default Question for you Longarmers

I am just learning to use my new machine. It has a stitch regulator but I am getting all kinds of long stitches. A lot more than I get beeps while I'm sewing. I did change the thread but it is the same kind that I have been using, I think. Do you have any suggestions. I have double checked the threading. Could it be the tension? Or is it just me ? I've tried going slow and I've tried speeding up. What can I do??? Help!!!
Old 10-10-2012, 05:04 PM

Do you have the stitch regulator turned on? I have to turn mine on , on the side I'm sewing [front or back].
Old 10-10-2012, 05:16 PM
Power Poster

Beeping? Why does it beep? My Bernina beeps when I move it too fast for the needle to keep up, but I don't think I can move the Innova too fast. The only time I get long stitches is if I start up really fast from standing still. If you're having them in the middle of sewing, are you sure that it's actually long stitches, vs. missed stitches? The difference would be that the needle actually goes down for missed stitches, but the thread isn't caught by the hook for some reason. You might be able to see the needle holes where the needle went down but a stitch didn't form. (Just a guess.)
Old 10-11-2012, 04:52 AM
Power Poster

First I would tripple check the threading and make sure the bobbin is in right. Try stitching a bit with the stitch regulator turned off. If you are skipping stitches with it turned off, then it's something 'mechanical' like threading, lint, needle not inserted all the way up or in a bit crooked etc. If it sews OK with the regulator off, then it may be something with the regulator itself and you might want to call the dealer for troubleshooting tips. My machine has a dial to change the stitch length in regulator mode. You can try playing with that. Does it skip only when you are going 'north and south' or 'east and west'? How does your regulator figure out your movements? mine has wheels that run on rails and if the rails are dirty the wheels can't get any traction and skip stitches.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:45 AM
Power Poster

PaperPrincess has a good point, which I forgot about. The regulator wheels need to be working right for the stitch regulator to know how fast the machine is moving. If they are not making good contact and turning freely as the machine moves then your stitches will not be even.