Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question for you Longarmers >

Question for you Longarmers

Question for you Longarmers

Old 12-12-2012, 06:06 AM

I prefer to go edge to edge with a panto, but I have one customer that insists I do them border to border and then a separate design in the border. This requires SID around the border and so she gets charged a semi-custom price rather than a panto price. I use the blue painter's tape on top of my panto to mark the beginning and end.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:26 AM

I have done pantos edge to edge (usual way) and just inside the border. Its harder to stop at the border. I never got a really nice stop altho I did get better as I went along. To me, doing the border separately is more of a custom thing. I only have a few customers and really don't have a specialized price list, but if I did this on a more regular basis, I would charge more. Its just fussier.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:30 AM

Pantographs are meant to be used edge to edge, but it's definitely your choice.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:59 AM

Pantos are considered and edge to edge (E2E) pattern and meant to be quilted all the way across. If you want to stop at the borders, use your laser light to figure out where you want to stop on the paper and place a ruler or some other marker there, that way you will know when to stop. I have to do this when quilting edge to edge because I will run right off since panto tend to send me off the dream land...Yawn...
Old 12-13-2012, 08:08 AM

I always treat borders differently......I like a quilt to look like a quilt not a mattress cover.......Just how I do things. Anyway....I will do whatever to the top border......sid on seam that separates border from body of quilt.....then on the panto, since I have a clear plastic flap under which I place the panto, I use either blue painters tape to mark beginning and end or if I have to sort of fudge the design to blend better I will use a wipe marker in blue....not permanent type, I use the the kind that needs a damp cloth to remove....so that's what I do...then when it comes to bottom border, again sid in seam....and sew in border, if it is the type that has a top and bottom, I will flip it...oh, as I go along doing the mid section, I will sid the side seams and machine baste the side edges as I go.....then, I remove the sandwich......straighten out the side edges.......leaving about 1" of batt/back extending...for pinning to top/bottom rollers..attach to rollers and do those borders........I prefer doing it that way...others have other ways, but we all find what works best for us and this has been my way for over 10 yrs......