Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Questions about math and design on proposed quilt and wool batting question >

Questions about math and design on proposed quilt and wool batting question

Questions about math and design on proposed quilt and wool batting question

Old 06-29-2015, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by grann of 6 View Post
Having made several on point quilts, which is the same as making bias blocks, I would say adding your off white on grain would help stabilize all the bias. You just have to be very accurate in your cutting and your seams. When sewing a bias and an on grain together, I put the bias against the feed dogs and the on grain on top. The feed dogs will keep the bias from stretching and bubbling. BTW, I love your pattern. I have some William Morris jelly rolls I have been itching to use. But like you I hate to cut into them, they are so beautiful.
thanks for the tips. Now I am ready to go.
Old 06-29-2015, 08:48 AM

I personally think if you are going scrappy on the blocks, it would look awesome to also go scrappy on your light blocks; tone on tones of whites and beiges as well as solids.
Old 06-29-2015, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Maureen NJ View Post
Barb, thanks for checking in EQ for me. I usually use Dream cotton Select but I thought I 'd try wool, since so many people sing it's praises about not getting fold lines and it is a little poufier than the Select. Dunster, the mattress is 12" thick and then it is 8" from the bottom of the mattress to the bottom of the side rail. That's why I made it the 114"width. I find a dust ruffle annoying so I don't use them. I think you are right about waiting with # 2 until I get the center done. I appreciate both of your comments. It's been a UFO and has been bugging me. Fabric is so nice I don't want to screw it up.
Originally Posted by dunster View Post
Is your bed a CA King? (They are 72x84; regular kings are 76x80.) If not CA king, then you need to make the quilt larger.
Bed width + 2*(mattress depth + distance to side tail)=76+2*(12+8)=76+40=116
You need at least 116 inches, and that's just touching the bed rail. You probably want to overlap it by just a little. Add in some shrinkage and you won't be reaching the bed rail at all.
If it's a CA King, you need only 112 inches to just touch the bed rail. 114 inches would be kind of skimpy - only 1 inch over on each side and nothing allowed for shrinkage.
Am I reading this wrong? I interpreted Maureen to say the 20" was to the bottom of the rail, not the top of the rail. Please correct me if I'm wrong!