Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Questions about pinwheel pattern...... >

Questions about pinwheel pattern......

Questions about pinwheel pattern......

Old 09-19-2009, 07:33 AM
Power Poster

I really want to make a pinwheel quilt next -- either lap size or crib size -- probably with a decorative border.

Does anyone have a favorite pinwheel pattern online they could share?

I am also wondering if there is an ideal size for the half square triangles. What size should the finished pinwheel block be for a lap size quilt? I don't want to go too small or too large.

My sister just bought an Accuquilt Go! I could use to cut the shapes. I am thinking I would really like to spray starch two fabrics right sides together and then run them through the Go! to make the half square triangles. However, what size half square triangle would be best? I doubt my sister has the right size, but I could order the die for the system. Otherwise I could cut squares and make the HSTs that way. Anyone have preferences?
Old 09-19-2009, 07:41 AM

I made one using this tutorlal from Moda's Bake shop. http://www.modabakeshop.com/2009/03/...aby-quilt.html. It was very easy and I just need to find the perfect backing and binding fabric for it.

I made several more pinwheel, using almost 2 charm packs.
Old 09-19-2009, 07:54 AM

I really prefer cutting squares an inch larger than the size of the half triangle. Put 2 squares together, mark diagonally corner to corner, ser/mark,cut 1/4" on both sides of the marked line, this way, you're not dealing with a cut bias edge, then square up.
Old 09-19-2009, 08:27 AM

Here's a link with most of the methods of making HSTs. http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art10208.asp If you are going to make a lot of them in the same color combo, try the grid method.

For block size, I'd first decide on what block to use before I decided on size. They have different repeats and so would look different depending on the finished size. Lots of different blocks have pinwheels in them, or are you just interested in the pinwheel block itself?
Old 09-19-2009, 08:41 AM

I use the pinwheel block a lot - made with half square triangles alternately with blocks with appliques - I tried to attach a file with a picture.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-11987.jpe  
Old 09-19-2009, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by SherriB
I made one using this tutorlal from Moda's Bake shop. http://www.modabakeshop.com/2009/03/...aby-quilt.html. It was very easy and I just need to find the perfect backing and binding fabric for it.

Thank you for sharing...that is so sweet!!!
Old 06-06-2010, 12:01 PM
Google Goddess

thanks for the link

Originally Posted by SherriB

Old 06-06-2010, 12:01 PM
Google Goddess

thank you for the link

Originally Posted by ghostrider
Here's a link with most of the methods of making HSTs. http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art10208.asp If you are going to make a lot of them in the same color combo, try the grid method.

For block size, I'd first decide on what block to use before I decided on size. They have different repeats and so would look different depending on the finished size. Lots of different blocks have pinwheels in them, or are you just interested in the pinwheel block itself?