Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Questions About templates/rulers >

Questions About templates/rulers

Questions About templates/rulers

Old 07-06-2008, 01:47 PM

Bev,
Check out this site. Scroll to the last ruler on the page.

http://www.robsrulers.com/new_page_2.htm
Old 07-06-2008, 02:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Minda
Bev,
Check out this site. Scroll to the last ruler on the page.

http://www.robsrulers.com/new_page_2.htm
Sooooooooooo cool. Thanks hun
Old 07-06-2008, 04:45 PM

Make a few phone calls to local hardware stores and/or glass and window shops. Most will cut the acrylic in whatever size you want. Be advised that you will generally not be paying for only 5x5 piece, but for the size piece that the store used to cut the little one from. Usually that would be an 8x10 . . .sooooooo if you planned ahead to figure out how many rulers you could get from that size, you may have to pay a slight cutting fee (our store charges $1 per cut) or not (we usually don't charge for any cuts if you buy the acrylic from us).

By the way, what you want is plexiglass. It is more expensive than real glass (go figure). You can probably get by with 1/10 inch thick, which is the thinnest we carry at our hardware. The thicker the plexiglass, the more expensive.

Plexiglass isn't the easiest thing in the world to cut; hardly worth the investment in the cutting tool when you can usually get it cut to size for no charge.
Old 07-07-2008, 04:51 AM
Izy

Originally Posted by Bevanger
Originally Posted by Izy
Bev, I just had DH make me a full set of templates from acrylic, it is really easy to cut and if you use your cutting mat to mark out and square up the acrylic you get perfect templates in any size you need :D Heres a picture of the set he made me.
Lucky You. I asked hubby, but he said he didn't have the tools to do it. :cry:
Bev....My DH only used a craft knife and my long ruler, just score it through then snap in downwards...you can help here by holding it firmly over the edge of a table or work top right on the score line and bend it downwards...honestly it is easy to do :D
Old 07-07-2008, 05:10 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Izy
Originally Posted by Bevanger
Originally Posted by Izy
Bev, I just had DH make me a full set of templates from acrylic, it is really easy to cut and if you use your cutting mat to mark out and square up the acrylic you get perfect templates in any size you need :D Heres a picture of the set he made me.
Lucky You. I asked hubby, but he said he didn't have the tools to do it. :cry:
Bev....My DH only used a craft knife and my long ruler, just score it through then snap in downwards...you can help here by holding it firmly over the edge of a table or work top right on the score line and bend it downwards...honestly it is easy to do :D
thanks dearheart
Old 07-07-2008, 01:26 PM

If you need it right away, you can always use a cereal box...that's how they used to make patterns before we were spoiled with acrylics. Bev, I hate to measure...and I do mean HATE....if you have a nice rotary cutting mat, you can use your larger ruler in conjunction with the markings on the mat to get your cuts easier. I usually have the hubby cut them out of foam core which works perfectly, can be re-used hundreds of times and we get from his work. A nice piece from your local office supply store would't cost much, you can make several shapes from one and it only requires an exacto blade to do.
*if you use this method, score both sides of the poster board before cutting through the foam center*
Old 07-08-2008, 03:49 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by retrogirl02
If you need it right away, you can always use a cereal box...that's how they used to make patterns before we were spoiled with acrylics. Bev, I hate to measure...and I do mean HATE....if you have a nice rotary cutting mat, you can use your larger ruler in conjunction with the markings on the mat to get your cuts easier. I usually have the hubby cut them out of foam core which works perfectly, can be re-used hundreds of times and we get from his work. A nice piece from your local office supply store would't cost much, you can make several shapes from one and it only requires an exacto blade to do.
*if you use this method, score both sides of the poster board before cutting through the foam center*
Thanks dearheart for the idea. I like the see thru though cuz this way I can square my blocks up if I can see the center. I'm picky I know...