Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Questions about tumbling block pattern

Here is one I made with the strip method. Was easy and quick. Pattern came from a "big block" book.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MissTreated
    It definitely does not lose the 3-D effect. It's strip quilted, meaning you cut strips, sew strips and sew more strips. The "blocks" are sew as half-blocks, vertically, making a strip, then the strips are sewn together, matching the other half of the block.

The instruction booklet I used was "Not Your Grandmother's Tumbling Blocks."

Here's a link to some pictures of the one I just finished. Getting ready to do another as soon as I get a couple of other things off my table.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-35132-1.htm
    made with streight seams Not your grandmothers tumbling blocks pattern
    Name:  Attachment-2140.jpe
Views: 490
Size:  68.0 KB

wow.....they are both great! I will definately try

I was just on Amazon and they have Not your Grandmothers Quilt for 16.98 plus shipping. They were out of stock but they have about 6 or 7 now.
    Rufus2

I have 2 Yorkies, too

I found the strip pieced tumbling blocks to be simple construction. The concern is there are lots of bias edges to keep from stretching. This was my first quilt ever!

Strip pieced tumbling blocks
    Name:  Attachment-7638.jpe
Views: 169
Size:  109.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by OR Piecemaker
    I found the strip pieced tumbling blocks to be simple construction. The concern is there are lots of bias edges to keep from stretching. This was my first quilt ever!
    Your first? Surely you jest. It's great!
    (OR, as in operating room?)

Yes Yes Yes...Thank you

Blog Entries
    I have been working on a tumbling block or seven sisters quilt that is strip pieced. I am using the directions from "Not Your Grandmothers Tumbling Blocks" by Macie Baker. I chose to do mine in lavender and white..so...it is a seven sisters quilt. I tried a block doing the standard way with all the diamonds...and I was pulling my hair out. Now..I have several blocks completed and it looks great..the strips do not affect the design at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Janetlmt
    I have been working on a tumbling block or seven sisters quilt that is strip pieced. I am using the directions from "Not Your Grandmothers Tumbling Blocks" by Macie Baker. I chose to do mine in lavender and white..so...it is a seven sisters quilt. I tried a block doing the standard way with all the diamonds...and I was pulling my hair out. Now..I have several blocks completed and it looks great..the strips do not affect the design at all.
    I have tried both ways and like you, found the strip method much easier. I am very thankful that there are people out there who have the talent to figure out "the easier way" and then share it with the rest of us.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3