Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Questions for Canadian quilters >

Questions for Canadian quilters

Questions for Canadian quilters

Old 04-18-2016, 05:50 AM

Default Questions for Canadian quilters

I would like your recommendations for online fabric shopping. I have shopped @ Fat quarter Shop and was pleased with fabric quality but the customs duties was a big shock. I have bought quilting books online and paid by Visa but was charged an exchange rate so Visa bill was higher than expected.
What are your favorite online quilting shops? Do you have any tips/suggestions for getting the best deal?
I think the customs is the big deal breaker for shopping the U.S. stores. Not much I can do about that. I know some people can ship to a U.S. address and go over the border to pick it up but that is not an option for me.
Do you shop online Canadian stores? What was your experience as regards to quality/price/shipping details etc.?
Thank you.
Old 04-18-2016, 06:53 AM

Recommend Sew Sisters. Toronto. Great service
Old 04-18-2016, 07:24 AM

I don't usually shop online unless it is something that I really want or it is on sale. Sometimes I have wanted to order something but the shipping and duty were ridiculous..
Old 04-18-2016, 07:55 AM

ihave 2 i deal with as they charge actual shipping
have never had to pay duty as my orders are usually under 50
don`t know if that makes a difference
Happy Apple
The Quilt Place both in florida
have visited Happy Apple
Gale
Old 04-18-2016, 09:32 AM
Power Poster

Check into Fabric Shack in Ohio. I buy from them from the states but I know they have discount shipping for outside the USA.
Old 04-18-2016, 09:43 AM

I have had great service and quality fabric from Along Came Quilting.
Old 04-18-2016, 12:05 PM
Power Poster

Some credit cards do not have foreign transaction fees. We made sure to use one of these when traveling. When we lived in Canada we found that customs duties were inconsistent.
Old 04-18-2016, 12:55 PM

My favourites are Sew Sisters in Ontario. Nice selection of fabrics and very good service. They are great and often have very nice fabrics in their clearance items. Hamels fabrics is another one I purchase from frequently. For many other quilting, sewing and bag making items, Stitch In The Ditch in Kelowna is great. I love their selection, prices and very fast service. I often purchase from Missouri Star but have the order sent to a box across the line and pick it up there. I have never been charged anything extra so far when crossing the border. I believe that many Canadian quilters also order from Connecting Threads. I'm very tempted and will likely try them very soon.
Old 04-18-2016, 01:23 PM

[QUOTE=RainyBC;7526932]My favourites are Sew Sisters in Ontario. Nice selection of fabrics and very good service. They are great and often have very nice fabrics in their clearance items. Hamels fabrics is another one I purchase from frequently. For many other quilting, sewing and bag making items, Stitch In The Ditch in Kelowna is great. I love their selection, prices and very fast service. I often purchase from Missouri Star but have the order sent to a box across the line and pick it up there. I have never been charged anything extra so far when crossing the border. I believe that many Canadian quilters also order from Connecting Threads. I'm very tempted and will likely try them very soon.[/QUOTE

Rainy...if you ever do buy from CT, let me know how it goes. I am tempted to try them.
Old 04-18-2016, 01:33 PM

I have ordered from Connecting threads, but I find the fabric is not what I would call quilt store fabric. I find it comparable it to fabric from Walmart.