Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Questions >

Questions

Questions

Old 01-21-2011, 11:57 AM

Two questions-
Whst is squaring and how do I do it? Do I need a special ruler?
2. My son bought me a crate ful of quilting magazines at a garage sale. I don't want to keep them all but the ones I do want have a slight musty odor. Anyone know how to get rid of the odor? Anyon:e. Want magazines? Sean Sade mamilla and I'll send a couple.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:57 AM

Send SASe manilla envelope!! Lol
Old 01-21-2011, 12:00 PM
Power Poster

Where are you living - is it possible to put them outside and air them out- BUT you don't want to do that if it is damp or will get wet, etc... wonder if placing baking soda near them will help ?
Old 01-21-2011, 12:20 PM

You can put a line on your porch, patio, or outside in the sun is perferred and just drape them over and let them air out.
I don't need any more. But you can remove the parts you want to save and put them in a binder, then recycle the rest.
Old 01-21-2011, 12:22 PM

You need a big square ruler to square up.

You can put the magazines in a plastic bag with a bar of deodorant soap and it'll pull the smell out of them in a week or so. Safeguard or Dial both work really well.
Old 01-21-2011, 12:29 PM
Power Poster

Charcoal absorbs odors. Try putting the magazines in a plastic bag with a couple of Dr. Scholl's "Odoreaters" insoles with charcoal in them. Someone else suggested a fish filter, which has the charcoal completely enclosed.

Are you talking about squaring up a block, or a quilt, or fabric? Blocks can be "blocked" using spray starch on an ironing board. Sharon Schamber has a Youtube video that demonstrates how to true up a block.

Otherwise, if you need to square up and trim something like a quilt corner, you can use a combination of a long straight ruler and a large triangle to create a perfect 90-degree angle (right angle). Butt the triangle up against the ruler.
Old 01-21-2011, 03:30 PM

You can also cut up some newspaper (not the slick ads, just the news paper part) and put pieces in between the pages then seal them in a container with some fresh kitty litter (just the cheap kind). Keep it sealed up like this for at least a week. If you have sunshine, put the sealed container in the sun, too.

Check after a week. If there is still some odor, put it back. This works for old books.

You can also soak a cotton ball in pure vanilla and put it in the container, too. Just be careful it doesn't touch the magazines.