Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quick & Easy 30s FQ ideas >

Quick & Easy 30s FQ ideas

Quick & Easy 30s FQ ideas

Old 07-28-2015, 04:36 PM

Default Quick & Easy 30s FQ ideas

Hi everyone,

I haven't been able to sew much lately, and haven't really had much desire due to life's stress, but I miss it. I have a fat quarter bundle of 30s fabric and I'd like some ideas for a quick and easy quilt. I don't have a lot of time (or patience) for anything tricky right now, and I also don't have the time to look through books and magazines for ideas. I guess I sound a little lazy, and maybe I really am, but if anyone can give me some ideas, I'd appreciate it.

i suppose I'm trying to get out of a funk and could use a little help. Thanks in advance!
Old 07-28-2015, 05:04 PM

When I think of 30's fabric I think traditional. How about churn dash with a scrappy sashing
Old 07-28-2015, 09:25 PM

If your fabrics are florals, how about a grandmothers flower garden. I'm working on one now. Easy to carry along and work on while traveling.
Old 07-29-2015, 12:01 AM

Thanks for the ideas! I haven't made a grandmothers flower garden quilt before, although it's been on my endless wish list. I recently did a jelly roll race quilt with Christmas fabrics. That was incredibly quick and helped me get back into the mood for sewing. I want to keep that momentum going for now, so whatever I end up making, I'd like it to be super quick and super easy.

I used to turn to sewing as a way to comfort myself and think through problems. I wish that still worked.....
Old 07-29-2015, 01:43 AM

How about a Dresden Plate quilt. Or check out Eleanor Burns' Egg Money Quilts. I think you can view videos on her website. That might give you some ideas or help you decide if you want her book.
Old 07-29-2015, 02:10 AM

I recently made a quickie easy quilt top using a Layer cake (10 inch squares). But you could easily use your fat quarters if you want to use this pattern. I just cut off 3 inches from each square, and then did a mix and match with the 2 sizes and colors of fabric. You would have 3x10 and 7x10 rectangles. Now sew together, one of each size in different color fabrics using 1/4" seams.
Now put together a row of these blocks, with narrow rectangle all to the left side of the block. Next row put all af them to the right side of the block. Alternate rows of each kind to make the size quilt you want. I made mine 6 blocks wide and 7 blocks vertical, for a throw size. All blocks will be in a vertical position.
I think every pattern should have a name, even if they are super simple, so I called this one "Simple Simon".
There! It took me longer to type the instructions than to make a block! And the quilt looks nicer than it sounds.
Old 07-29-2015, 03:17 AM

GrammieJan, would love to see a picture of your quilt!
Old 07-29-2015, 03:28 AM

It sounds like life is beating you up pretty badly right now and I hope situations resolve and improve for you. How about a plain ol' Rail Fence?
Old 07-29-2015, 04:57 AM
Power Poster

I just looked at all the quilts done with 30s prints:
https://www.google.com/search?q=30s+...w=1001&bih=614
Maybe you will see something that makes sense for you to make. Even Falling Charms by MSQC would be cute with a soft white background.
Old 07-29-2015, 06:02 AM

You are all so kind. I wanted to cry when I saw your thoughtful responses (crying for a good reason for a change). I think I'll try to get into my sewing room later today and untie the bundle. Keeping your suggestions in mind, maybe I'll be inspired once I start letting the fabrics!