Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quick Fun Poll - How many WIPs do you have? >

Quick Fun Poll - How many WIPs do you have?

Quick Fun Poll - How many WIPs do you have?

Old 05-13-2012, 07:36 AM

Default Quick Fun Poll - How many WIPs do you have?

So a big HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY to everyone!! I thought it would be fun to have a poll today. Even if there are already a bunch of answers, please feel free to add your numbers too!! I am going to try and compile the data to come up with some fun statistics (math geek much?? hehe) Yes, this is how I like to spend my Mother's Day. Answer as many or as few of these questions as you would like!

1. How do you define a WIP?
2. How many quilt WIPs do you currently have?
3. How many non-quilt WIPs do you currently have?
4. What stages are most of your WIPs in?
5. What is the most number of WIPs you have ever had at once?
6. What method do you currently use to keep track of WIPs/Completed projects?
7. How many quilting patterns and books do you own?
8. How many of those patterns and book you own have been used for a project?
9. What method do you currently use to keep track of your patterns & books?

I hope you'll play along with me! Here are my answers:

1. I define a WIP as any project that has been started (fabric at least cut), but not finished (finished=I can use it).
2. I currently have about 20 quilt WIPs
3. I don't really have many non-quilt WIPs as I tend to finish those all at once rather than setting them aside.
4. Most are flimsies waiting to be quilting, about 8-10 are quilts I have cut out and still need to be pieced, or I have started piecing just a bit. One is just needing binding.
5. I would guess the most I have had at once is about what I have now.
6. I use a spreadsheet, though I still tend to forget some of my lonely WIPs and will look through the piles to find them again someday.
7. I probably have about 8 books and 10 patterns.
8. So far I have probably used 2 or 3 books for quilts (still in progress) and 1 or 2 patterns.
9. Look at my shelf every so often and remind myself why I bought them in the first place and to not forget about them again!!

Now let's hear yours!!

Cheers!
Rachel
Old 05-13-2012, 07:54 AM
Power Poster

Just as you do - cut out on up to not bound.
5 -
4, all bags
1 to be bound, one to be quilted, one needs borders, one just cut and one Fun and Done that will never be done. Like QAYG, but not this technique.
Current level
Note book
Patterns, maybe 10, books 100+ "Edward R Hamilton, Bookseller" is my favorite pen pal
no patterns ;-) and probably 10 of the books for at least part of the design
Archeological piles, by my chair, sewing machine, 'throne', bed, and also have some on shelves. We are in the process of building new bookshelves. Perhaps I'll get them into some sort of order then.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:07 AM

I have come to know myself .. if I cut it and stop anywhere in the process .. I don't ever go back .. So I only have one WIP. As for pattern and books... way too may to count. I have a book shelf and they are organized by them , bargello , paper peicing, etc. The patterns are the same way either on the shelf with the books or on its own shelf but by type.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:09 AM

1. How do you define a WIP? Anything that is cut out, all the way to ready to bind
2. How many quilt WIPs do you currently have? 4
3. How many non-quilt WIPs do you currently have? Too many to count....bins full
4. What stages are most of your WIPs in? One hand quilting, 3 are in the peicing process
5. What is the most number of WIPs you have ever had at once? quilts-4
6. What method do you currently use to keep track of WIPs/Completed projects? No methoid,,,they are all out and in view..can't forget them!!
7. How many quilting patterns and books do you own? An entire bookshelf full of books and magazines
8. How many of those patterns and book you own have been used for a project? I made about 3 quilts by patterns, and have used ideas from some to create what I wanted.
9. What method do you currently use to keep track of your patterns & books? THere is not method of keeping track...I jsut dig thru the shelves or piles when I want to look for something!!

I love my quilting and it is my enjoyment..If I felt I had to be more organized, it would probably take the fun away!!
Old 05-13-2012, 08:26 AM

There's a fine line between a WIP and a UFO.

I have two UFO's (items I'm not sure I will EVER finish) and 7 WIP's in various stages.

One in my head. I signed up for the needle case swap and I was actually working on the design today.

1 is quilted and bound and I'm adding beading, 1 is a BOM and I'm in the 5th month, 1 is half pieced and I haven't decided the other half yet, the remainder are pieced and need to be quilted.

I have more now than I've ever had.

Method?

Not a whole lot. I favor books that are more about techniques than pattern books. I can get, or make a pattern anywhere - it's techniques I want to learn. I have about 40 books all told. I do have a few patterns that were purchased, and several that I gleaned online.

Well ... because of the type of book I favor, some of the techniques (Sally Collins Mastering Precision Piecing) have been used for every quilt I made since I got the book, other books for "special" techniques (ie Fractured quilts) I used twice. I do have some books that I haven't used yet, but plan on it.

If they're hard copies they're on my book shelf in the sewing room. If I grabbed them off the computer, they're in a folder on my PC.

Sue
Old 05-13-2012, 08:32 AM

At my house a WIP is something that is in progress and that I'll actually get back to eventually. There are a few that may be permanent UFOs. We'll see.

Looks like around 30.

None.

My WIP tend to be in one of two stages. They're either still in the piecing stage or they're in the flimsy stage.

Probably right now is the most.

I just keep a list in Word.

There's probably close to 100 books and dozens of patterns.

Lots of the patterns and several of the books. A lot of them are still ideas in waiting.

The books go on the book shelf and they're shelved by type, quilting, applique, scrappy, etc. The patterns are stored two ways. I have a pattern box from Clotilde that the patterns in zip bags go into and I have binders for patterns cut out of magazines.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:43 AM

1. just as you do, but only up t the completed top stage since I don't quilt my quilts
2. 4
3. 5
4. different stages, some just cut, some have blocks sewn but not the top, some have top complete but no borders, have an applique thats only partially sewn down
5. What I have now, only used to do one project at a time
6. none, they are in bags or the bin
8. Altogether over a hundred, I choose not to count, too many, but have them organized by type, FMQ, applique, PP, traditional, asian, baby, sewing, reference
9. Probably about 20+ for actual patterns with another 10 books for reference on certain techniques
9. I have 2 enclosed scrapbooking boxes from micheals for my books stacked on top of each other on a rolling cart. My patters are organized in one of those colorful target fabric baskets. I use stackable artbin for all of my supplies, small rulers, notions, hoops, embellishments, etc.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:08 AM

Happy Mother's Day!!!

1. How do you define a WIP? I used to define it as something cut and not finished. I now define at something I plan to finish and have moved all of the "trial" blocks and stuff to the "scrap" section to use in other projects.
2. How many quilt WIPs do you currently have? 11
3. How many non-quilt WIPs do you currently have? 0
4. What stages are most of your WIPs in? 27% sitting, 18% quilting, 18% binding, 18%planning, 9% borders, 9% piecing - i think you found another math geek!
5. What is the most number of WIPs you have ever had at once? Before I changed the definition and finished some stuff...19
6. What method do you currently use to keep track of WIPs/Completed projects? Excel file...now I really feel like a geek! I have my swaps and deadlines listed on it too.
7. How many quilting patterns and books do you own? Now there's something else that can use an Excel file! No idea. And if I counted all of the magazines and catalogs with pattern ideas, the number just might be sinful.
8. How many of those patterns and book you own have been used for a project? 6! Really? Only 6. Ok, so no more books and patterns! That's it, I've sworn off buying books and patterns...until I come across another that I can't live without.
9. What method do you currently use to keep track of your patterns & books? No method to the madness!

Thanks for posting.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:18 AM

I had a good laugh about #6....

Anything that is started past the gather stage.

2. How many
quilt WIPs do you currently have?
Who knows? 3 are currently on the design wall yelling at me, "Finish me!"

One large tote full, number unknown

All stages. Some blocks done, some tops done, none quilted waiting for binding (when I get that close they get finished)...

Never counted. Not that important to me.

You need to keep track? For me it would give me hives.... LOL

Maybe 50. Never counted them. Don't buy unless it is very, very special because there are so many free on the net. Hundreds of patterns/pictures from the net printed and filed in a notebook, filed by type.

About 1/2

In my style of bookshelves. I have crates stacked on their sides under my cutting table holding all of my quilt books, patterns and notebooks of ideas.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:31 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

Something I've done some work on. At least started cutting. Also quilts that need binding.
About 8.
Some need binding. Some need quilting. Lots are cut out but need to be pieced together.
About 6.
They are all over on different places. Some are in bins, some are on tables, some put away for way down the line.
Probably 40 books, 150 magazines and 50 patterns.
Used about 15 patterns, 1 book, 10 magazines.
Books are on bookcase. Magazines are in magazine racks I put on a shelf on my wall. My patterns are on a doo-hickey that is metal and has a long arm with 15 clasps. I just hang each pattern on a clasp. The arm is moveable so I can push it against the wall when not in use. I own two of those. I also have pattern boxes that I have different sections for different type patterns.