Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: quick question on HST

quick question on HST

I'm having a brain fart. Want my HST to be 2 1/2 unfinished or 2" finished using the draw line down middle sew on each side. I remember you add 7/8 to it but do I add 7/8 to 2 1/2 or 2. Thanks

Add it to the finished size.

thanks Dunster I hate those farts LOL

The correct formula is to add 7/8" to the finished size. I always find it better to add an 1" (or a little more) and then you have more wiggle room. You have a little more work to do because you have to square them up afterwards, but I find I have better results this way. Good luck!

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Donnamarie View Post
    The correct formula is to add 7/8" to the finished size. I always find it better to add an 1" (or a little more) and then you have more wiggle room. You have a little more work to do because you have to square them up afterwards, but I find I have better results this way. Good luck!
    I find adding one inch to the finished size works much better for me, too.

And I have to trim very very little off the HST units. I don't know what happens when I add only 7/8 inch, but the units almost always turn out skimpy. And that's even when I make the seams a click or two narrower than for the seams for straight pieced seams.

Blog Entries
    It's much easier to add the 1" and then trim to size. I find that it does'nt take that much more time and everything allways comes out good.

I always add an inch, too. I really hate trimming the HSTs, but the accuracy I get is worth the extra time.