Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Which quiling guide is best??? >

Which quiling guide is best???

Which quiling guide is best???

Old 10-04-2013, 12:17 PM

Default Which quiling guide is best???

I just watched a video where Quilt Halos were used, I think this type item would help smooth out my FMQ.
I see theirs lots of different kinds, Quilt Halo, Fabulous Fabric Guides, Gypsy Quilter fabric guide, and I am sure more out there I haven't seen yet. I have a singer 15-91 that I have been FMQ with, theirs not a lot of space, I probably need a extension table as well, but which of these quilting aids to move the fabric do you think works best, I use the quilting gloves, but I am still jerky. I bought a supreme slider, but it moved around and I ended up stitching a hole in it, once it had a hold it ripped. I may get another and tape it down. Does anyone use the guides, or do you think I just need to try an table extention and the supreme glider again???? I am doing better FMQ but I still have these little jerky places.
Old 10-04-2013, 01:49 PM
Power Poster

From what I have heard, the Quilt Halo is one of the better ones because it has some weight to it.

Instead of the Supreme Glide, you can try taping down an inexpensive piece of plastic from Walmart (clear plastic on a roll, in their fabric section). You can also use Teflon -- the flat sheets you can buy to place in the bottom of your oven to catch drips and spills.

A custom extension table for a vintage machine can be expensive. What I would suggest instead is that you make your own "table" from styrofoam. Here are links to how to videos that show how to do that:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g14govA4pIM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAS25v3ZTk0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0lk7UBQgZY
Old 10-04-2013, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by debbiemarie View Post
..., I use the quilting gloves, but I am still jerky. ....
In answer to your question,I've tried several of the aids like halo, etc, and none of them worked for me. After watching a local professional quilter work on her domestic machine, I had an epiphany - I was going too fast. Once I slowed down....really slow...I found that my work was smooth and I was able to do some complicated designs with little practice. My really slow, I mean that I put the machine on the slowest speed I can get. With your machine which has no speed control, you may be able to put a "stop" on your foot pedal some way so that the machine will not go very fast. I just got a friend to do the same thing today - slow it down, and she was having smooth designs and even stitches in no time. ....and obviously the speed of moving the fabric has to slow down as well to match the machine -
Old 10-04-2013, 02:11 PM

I've tried the Halo and many others aids. And especially with a small harp, it makes the space to quilt even smaller. I use Sew Slip and tape it down and Machiner Gloves. Works for me. What really helps improve your quilting? You guessed it........Practice, Practice, Practice. Another tip is to use a pen held vertically and trace the pattern, then draw it without the pattern to follow.
Old 10-05-2013, 10:00 AM

The best one is the one that works for you. That means try them out and see. Personally the Halo never worked for me and I had free access with a Sharon Schamber class. Honestly, I hated it.

So far the fabulous Fabric guide works best for me. I don't have to put any pressure on it and it is easy to hold in a non-traditional way. It is great for those of us with arthritis in our hands.
Old 10-05-2013, 10:19 AM

I use the Quilt Halo and the Supreme Slider and like it alot. I use masking tape to hold the slider in place.
Old 10-05-2013, 10:26 AM
Power Poster

I put on my Machingers gloves and position my hands kind of like the halo on my machine bed. My hands are easier to move but I haven't tried any of the quilting aids.
Old 10-06-2013, 04:30 AM

I have the halo and don't use it. The important thing is to puddle your quilt on your lap and NOT have any of it falling down, off the table. I have a set in now with large table, but used to FMQ at my dining room table. With larger quilts, I would rig up all kind of things to keep the part I was quilting from moving via gravity. I would use chair backs and even the ironing board. As long as you don't have pulling, you use your gloved hands as your halo.