Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Are quillows really quilts? >

Are quillows really quilts?

Are quillows really quilts?

Old 12-31-2010, 08:34 PM

I just made a quillow using two layers of minkee and tying it every 8 inches. It was not pieced, or "quilted" but because it had a pocket and rolled into itself to make a pillow, it became a quillow.
Old 12-31-2010, 08:44 PM

One year I made both of my children and a niece quillows. However they were all small then, so they were more like twin bed size. Then a couple of years later for Mother's Day I made my MIL and my DM each a white one, enlarging both. My MILs was for a full size bed and my DMs was for a king size bed. I machine embroidered a large yellow rose on my MILs and a large red rose on my DMs that covered each pocket, and used the color of the roses and tied each one of them as you would a quilt. So I definitely consider them to be quilts. Both are deceased now, I still have my mothers. My MILS didn't fair so well, I don't know who did it, (but I have a good guess, as to who,) but my MILS was put out in the storage shed. When my daughter moved into her house and got her Australian Shepherd, he found part of it at least the pocket and drug it out and was chewing on it. The quillow had been cut up and the pocket had been cut off from the rest. I could tell that when I was visiting and found the pillow part in the yard while picking up things the puppy had scattered over the yard. Anyway, I think she may have used it for her dog to sleep on, he was a large dog, and I know the dog didn't cut it up. I didn't know this until last year and was furious and also it really hurt my feelings. My DH was angry too, because he knew how much time I had spent on making both of them. Needless to say, I am glad she was already gone when I found it or I would have had to say something to her about it, and that would have really caused ill feelings.
I needed to vent, sorry, but I get angry every time I think about it.
I would definitely call a quillow a quilt, when not in use that makes it's own pillow.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:19 PM

Of course, it's a quilt. Lacelady! What a beautiful GFG quillow!
Old 12-31-2010, 09:50 PM

lacelady that is beautiful, I make mine with fleese and dont spend much time on them at all.. One day and they're done. that took some time. WOW.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:20 AM

I have made quillows, but they always had pieced tops.
Old 01-01-2011, 01:03 PM

I make all of mine in flannell & make them couch size., but everyone i have ever made them for always loved them. Thats a sad sorry about your mil's quillow, i would be hurt to, i don't know why they did'ent pass it along to someone who would have apprecaited it. Most people would love them/
Old 01-23-2011, 05:53 PM

I got around to reading this thread just today, but it's been interesting. Several years ago I made a fleece quillow for my goddaughter. Since she lives in Montana, I don't see her often, but when I was there two years ago, I recognized the teddy bears...and yes, she still uses it, and tucks her feet into the pocket...and it is getting faded, so I know it is loved!

Oh, and yes, this thread has given me lots of ideas for Christmas gifts...and graduation gifts!

Thank you so much...ALL of you!