Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt appraisals >

Quilt appraisals

Quilt appraisals

Old 02-14-2015, 11:36 AM

Default Quilt appraisals

A quilt appraiser came to our guild meeting and talked about appraisals of antique, vintage and contemporary quilts. She said that for new quilts the appraisal is a calculation of how much it would cost if you had to hire someone to reproduce the exact same quilt (which can't be done, but it's an appraisal for insurance purposes, if the quilt should be lost in the mail or in a fire, something like that). Anyway, she mentioned that people have a quilt appraised, so if they're giving it for a wedding present, they can include the appraisal so that the couple knows just how much this quilt is worth. I am presently finishing a wedding quilt which I will give to a nephew and his new bride in April. I'm now thinking of including the appraisal with the quilt. I'm sure the price that will be quoted will be by far the highest of the cost of any wedding gift they get. And many times nonquilters have absolutely no idea how much goes into a quilt. Have any of you done such a thing? What do you think of this idea? The appraisal would cost $50.
Old 02-14-2015, 12:41 PM

I had a wedding quilt appraised, but I did not give the appraisal to the recipients. They already knew how much went into the quilt, so it served no purpose for them. I appraised it in case it was lost in shipping.

Janet
Old 02-14-2015, 12:44 PM
Power Poster

I wouldn't have it appraised. If they can't appreciate the quilt, a price tag won't help them either. Sorry, I think that is a $50 waste of money.
Old 02-14-2015, 12:57 PM

would you include a store receipt with Any other gift, to anyone, for anything?
Old 02-14-2015, 01:48 PM

Have the quilt appraised. I carry a rider on my home owners insurance to cover just one of my quilts. I was shocked at the value of my quilt. I showed it in 3 AQS shows and have to insure it to ship it. Without an appraisal, the post office will not give you much at all. Also your homeowners insurance will cover about $30 to buy a blanket at Walmart so get it appraised and ask them to insure it. I would include a copy of the appraisal with the gift.
Old 02-14-2015, 02:07 PM

I've had quilts appraised as well, and it was definitely worth the price (more than your $50). I would have the wedding quilt appraised, yes, and would give them the original appraisal paperwork and a photo right along with the quilt. The point is not to 'brag' about what it's worth, the point is to recoup the true value in case of loss. That's what the appraiser meant when she said it let the owner's know just how much the quilt is worth.

It's their decision whether to insure it or not, but at least you'd be giving them that option and bringing it to their attention. Otherwise, they probably would never even think about having it insured. It's nothing like giving them a receipt for the gift, btw.
Old 02-14-2015, 02:21 PM

I like the idea of including an appraisal along with the quilt (or actually any gift of value) A normal home owners or renters policy would not cover the cost of anything like the value of a handmade quilt without a special rider, which would require an appraisal anyhow. I think that having that paperwork in hand would be appreciated, and would not be seen as you bragging about what you gifted them.
Old 02-14-2015, 04:37 PM
Power Poster

I have had numerous quilts appraised. It is well worth the $50! I always keep a copy of the appraisal but if I sell or gift the quilt I send the appraisal with it so the new owner has a record for their insurance. It has nothing to do with a ( price tag) on the item, it is an insurance value- if something happens to one of your quilts without an appraisal insurance will only cover what a regular cotton blanket would cost... $50 or less is what my insurance guy said-- with the appraisal you actually get value for your loss.
Old 02-14-2015, 06:43 PM

:Yes! Get it appraised and send the appraisal with the gift. froggyintexas
Old 02-14-2015, 06:58 PM
Power Poster

I have given antiques/vintage glass as special gifts for family. I always include paperwork/valuation, along with the note "if you get desperate, sell it". It's good for them to know for insurance purposes, and some things that don't look it can be quite valuable.

As for quilts....great idea.