Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Quilt back Question

I made a quilt with many different colors on the front and the back is a dark green, I want to quilt the front with a light green and the back with a dark green I am getting a little of the top light green coming thru the back of the quilt so it looks like little light spots on the back. I have adjusted the tension and it gets better but the spots do not completely go away. If I were to sell this quilt would that be acceptable. Or is the a solution for this that I do not know.

Yes you still need to work with your tension. 8-)

if I loved the front, the pookies on the back would not keep me from buying it, it's almost impossible to avoid them when using two different colors of thread

I've had that problem sometimes. If you're using cotton thread sometimes putting it in the dryer with low heat will help, but I find it difficult if I use a dark and light thread, especially with FMQ.

Quote Originally Posted by quilter1943
    I've had that problem sometimes. If you're using cotton thread sometimes putting it in the dryer with low heat will help, but I find it difficult if I use a dark and light thread, especially with FMQ.

That's why many people are using the variegated threads for both the top and the bottom as it is a solution to this problem.

Pam M

Blog Entries
    it wouldn't stop me from buying the quilt... but I'm not a perfectionist.

Your problem is the reason I like to use varigated thread on the back. I use mostly solid color fabrics for the back and I like the way it shows off my quilting.

Blog Entries
    I love the varigated threads!!

A varigated thread would be my suggestion.

If you tighten the bobbin tension a tiny bit at a time, you should eventually find the setting at which the problem goes away.

When the stitch is balanced, the bobbin thread doesn't show on the top and the needle thread doesn't show on the back. You can even use vastly dissimilar threads in the needle and bobbin as long as you get the tensions balanced.

Don't be afraid to adjust the bobbin tension for the thread that you're using in the bobbin. It's easy - and it's more fun to sew when you're using the materials best suited to the final result that you're looking for. :)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast