Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilt backing, polyester???? >

quilt backing, polyester????

quilt backing, polyester????

Old 04-02-2008, 06:14 AM

I've made my grandson, he's 16, a quilt-flying bats, its red and black and on the back he wants black and gold with his school name on it, also he wants it in silky material, I bought polyester because it was silky and shiney, but now Iv'e learned that it is one of the most raveling pieces of material there is. My question is if I sewed it together, I'm thinking just big 8" squares or something, and then used the serger on it with out cutting it, because mine is only a 3 thread surger. Would that hold it or would they still unravely and be a total mess in a couple of years????
Old 04-02-2008, 11:42 AM

I think I would get a polished cotton and explain that is what quilts are. :D
Old 04-02-2008, 12:17 PM

I sure wouldn't risk it, too much work involved, I agree with the polished cotton, it is a bit shiny
Old 04-02-2008, 01:50 PM

Try a light iron-on interfacing on a square, and was as usual. You should be able to tell from that whether you can live with the stiffness that remains - some are fairly soft.

The bigger problem remains - how are you going to quilt it ? Anything satiny is going to be a nightmare for machining, especially on the back. Hand quilting would almost require staying with the grain as much as possible.

You may be able to piece a center medallion for the school logo, and the rest of the back in a more practical fabric. Others have already suggested polished cotton, one of my favorites. It looks good and holds up to wear. Down the road, it will still be looking good, where poly could be in shreds.
Old 04-02-2008, 02:25 PM

I have used polyester for quilt backs, you really have to pin/baste it because it is slippery and you have to watch it doesn't shift and you end up with a pucker in it. Be careful ironing it though, it will melt if your iron is set for cotton. :)
Old 04-02-2008, 07:38 PM

Thanks guys, I kinda thought thats what you would say but I guess I was hopeing you would have a magic fix. I never even thought about to hot of an iron melting it. Thanks again. I think I'll make him pillow cases out of it.