Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Backing >

Quilt Backing

Quilt Backing

Old 05-14-2014, 08:49 AM

Default Quilt Backing

What do the majority of you use for quilt backing? I never know whether its better to use the wide 108" fabric or to piece a normal 44" to make the backing. Do you like solids or designs better? Ive bought some just plain white for the backing but it seemed a little blah when finished. Just curious because it seems the backing costs almost as much or more than the quilt top by the time I purchase it. A top can be scrappy but the back shouldnt be! Would appreciate any suggestions as to where you purchase backing and what kind you prefer!!
Old 05-14-2014, 09:10 AM
Power Poster

When I can find it, I like the 108" wide fabric simply because it is less work and no seam(s) running down or across the back. I like batiks for backing, but use others also.

Elaborately pieced backings make quilting more difficult, but backings can become much more interesting with just one insert pieced in. A diagonally running band of contrasting fabric in the background can look wonderful. With blocks, piecing in just one block in a band or several blocks in a band can make the back a lot more interesting.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:14 AM

I prefer to use wide fabric when I can. If not, I piece it and sometimes use more than one fabric to do so (although I must say, I prefer to use only one fabric as it pleases me better).
Old 05-14-2014, 09:38 AM

Unless I'm limiting fabrics for a quilt to those from a specific collection, I love piecing my quilt backs with leftovers from the top, and if I run out, I raid my stash for fabrics that blend in to get the size needed. It's a great way to use up what you have and in doing so, gives you the perfect excuse to run out and buy new fabric!

If you piece your quilt back this way, using a 1/2" seam allowance pressed open should give you no problems during quilting.

Last edited by Terri D.; 05-14-2014 at 09:41 AM.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:39 AM

I use mostly flannel. Yes, I have to piece it, and wash it 3 or 4 times before cutting, but it feels so much better for throw quilts. Or I will use a fleece type fabric. Especially on kids quilts.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:44 AM

I like to use wide backings ... If I am having custom quilting done I buy the best quality muslin I can find in a wide backing.. it shows off all the detail of the quilting... and I have been known to put my quilts back side up for awhile just to admire all those beautiful stitches.
If it's just a quilt that is a meander stitch is used for the quilting I will use a print .
Old 05-14-2014, 10:00 AM

I typically choose a print from the quilt top. It's super expensive, the entire quilt is! I love quality fabric though, I know my quilts will last a lifetime.
Old 05-14-2014, 10:00 AM
Power Poster

I like the wide back but my LQS doesn't carry a a big selection of it. That last time I went to get a wide back, I had to settle for 45 instead to match the quilt. I don't have to have the quilt top and back super matchy but I do like the binding to look nice on both sides.
I don't mind piecing the back since Bellaboo gave me a trick to do it. You sew down both selvage sides to make a giant tube. You then open the tube and cut down the center of one piece. You then have the quilt back in three sections which is recommended for a pieced back.
Old 05-14-2014, 10:01 AM
Power Poster

If you aren't often going to see the back, like a bed quilt, wall hanging or table topper, I use muslin. You can get muslin in wide widths. If you are going to see the back a lot, like a throw, baby quilt etc. I use a print that coordinates, wide enough to not have to piece if possible.
Old 05-14-2014, 10:49 AM

I like patterned backs since my FMQ isn't yet good enough to show off. I also like pieced backs that use up scraps from the front of the quilt. I've only used a wide backing once on a hand quilting project that I'm still working on. Haven't had any problems machine piecing the backs that were pieced. I'm trying to build up a quilt backing stash from fabric that I find at a really good price - say $3-$4 per yard.