Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Batting - Commerical >

Quilt Batting - Commerical

Quilt Batting - Commerical

Old 07-05-2011, 09:43 AM

Hello all,

I'm not a regular quilter, but I have a comforter that was made in the late 1970's and I'm trying to find the batting that I can use for that quilt. I have been to several places in my area and no one seems to have it. They say it has polyester, someone told me today that it looked like commercial batting. Does anyone know where to purchase a commercial batting? Or a good batting that will hold up. I would love to redo my son's comforter. The material on the outside is in terrific shape believe it or not.

Thanks everyone for your help.......
Old 07-05-2011, 10:35 AM
Power Poster

Commercial comforters usually have thick polyester batting. Thick polyester batting is difficult to quilt on a home machine. Tying could be an option, except the ties have to be very close for a polyester batting in order for the batting to not ball up in the wash.

My suggestion would be to use Hobbs 80/20 batting, which has a nice loft and is soft, but which is easy to quilt on a home machine. Quilter's Dream probably also has some polyester batting that would be easy to quilt at home.

The re-done quilt might not look exactly the same as the original, but (in my opinion, anyway) could look even better. I think you would be unhappy with the end look of a commercial batting; industrial machines are set up specifically to handle that type of batting. I doubt you could get the same effect on a home machine.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:40 AM

You"ll probably not be able to find the same grade of batting as of 40 yrs ago. Visit your favorite LQS, Joann's or sewing outlet, compare all the batting available and make your choice based on thickness and/or cost. Bamboo blend comes closet to ployester and does not beard.
Old 07-05-2011, 04:32 PM

I tried doing a repair on my DIL's comforter with thick batting, and could NOT handle it on my long arm machine even!
Old 07-05-2011, 07:59 PM

Hello and welcome from the Arkansas Ozarks.
Happy quilting.
Old 07-06-2011, 04:00 AM

I would try the Quilter's Dream Puff batting. It won't be quite as puffy, but you will get puff. The good news is that it will hold up much better when being washed and it is a high-quality product. :)