Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt block "encyclopedia"? >

Quilt block "encyclopedia"?

Quilt block "encyclopedia"?

Old 06-18-2012, 08:11 AM

It isn't a book, but I have Block Base, which is a software that contains hundreds of different traditional blocks. It is searchable, and will print out rotary cutting instructions or paper pieced guides in the size you specify.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by jlm5419 View Post
It isn't a book, but I have Block Base, which is a software that contains hundreds of different traditional blocks. It is searchable, and will print out rotary cutting instructions or paper pieced guides in the size you specify.

Sounds interesting!
Old 06-18-2012, 08:16 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
This one is fabulous!
http://www.connectingthreads.com/boo...s__D45081.html $32.95

Jan in VA
My vote for Jenny Beyer's book. It is really great and I learned a lot from it.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
This one is fabulous!
http://www.connectingthreads.com/boo...s__D45081.html $32.95

Jan in VA
Connecting Threads needs to thank you. I just ordered the book, and a batik fat quarter sampler, I've been wanting.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
A quick search on Amazon produced several results.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...ripbooks%2C200
I probably should have said - I've looked on Amazon several times and browsed a little at the local book store but the problem is that there are SO MANY choices! I can't buy them all - I'm trying to get a feel for if there are 1 or 2 "favorites".

Looks like there are at least 2 or 3 I should give a second (third, fourth) look at!
Old 06-18-2012, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
I probably should have said - I've looked on Amazon several times and browsed a little at the local book store but the problem is that there are SO MANY choices! I can't buy them all - I'm trying to get a feel for if there are 1 or 2 "favorites".

Looks like there are at least 2 or 3 I should give a second (third, fourth) look at!
i purchased 5,500 Quilt Block Designs by Maggie Malone from amazon as my source. i got it for a good price and it is all color illustrated. you will find in your search that traditional blocks go by more than one name. the above reference book did list the various names of a particular block. i also bought 99 modern quilt blocks book.

good luck with your purchase decision. and know for as many quilters as there are, there is the potential to have that many book recommendations. the resources are almost endless so ultimately if you can go to a bookstore or browse online and see what may appeal to you and get it. you may end up with several books but they will go into your library and not be wasted.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:45 AM
Banned

Brackman's Encyclopedia of Pieced Blocks and Maggie Malone's 5500 Blocks are the ones I use the most. I also refer alot to Carrie Hall Blocks and to 1000 Great Quilt Blocks from The Patchwork Place.
Brackman also has an applique encyclopedia book

I believe the Beyer's book are her own designs and far too many pieces resulting in designs that all look alike to me.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:45 AM

Babara Brackman's book is a great choice but my favorite too is Jinney Beyer's Quilter's Album - there is a lot of info on drafting your own blocks in there too.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by jlm5419 View Post
Block Base is the computerized version of Barbara Brackman's "Encyclopedia of Pieced Quilt Patterns." I have both but enjoy the computer version more. Both were some of the first "quilty" items I purchased. I also have the 1001 Patchwork Designs, 5500 Quilt Block Designs and BHG 501 Quilt Blocks. The BHG is my least favorite but I use them all.
Old 06-18-2012, 12:20 PM

I have the book "5500 Quilt Block Designs" by Maggie Malone. It truly has that many block designs in it and it will give alternate names for the same block. I know longer use it so if someone is interested, PM me.