Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Quilt block size help

Quilt block size help

I have made numerous quilts but for some reason I am having difficulty with my new one. I am attempting a sampler so that I can try numerous different quilt blocks. I am only picking 8 inch patterns however; I am noting that my finished block size is 8 1/2, is this correct? is the extra 1/2 inch for the seam allowance? If it's not I really need to check my 1/4 inch seams, although I use a really good 1/4 inch foot for my husqvuarna. Thank you for any and all info!

yes, 8" finished blocks should be 8 1/2" before joining- *unfinished*
    the 8" block including the 1/4" seam allowance around the block= 8 1/2"
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy
    Colleen's custom quilting; longarm services and custom quilt commissions.

Quote Originally Posted by saragasch View Post
    I have made numerous quilts but for some reason I am having difficulty with my new one. I am attempting a sampler so that I can try numerous different quilt blocks. I am only picking 8 inch patterns however; I am noting that my finished block size is 8 1/2, is this correct? is the extra 1/2 inch for the seam allowance? If it's not I really need to check my 1/4 inch seams, although I use a really good 1/4 inch foot for my husqvuarna. Thank you for any and all info!
    Blocks aren't finished. It's not finished until it's sewn to other blocks. They'll be 8 inches after you've sewn them to other blocks.

thank you!