Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: This quilt broke my heart!

This quilt broke my heart!

A few months ago a woman in our community asked me to make a quilt from her grown children's baby cloths. She wanted to give it to her mother for Christmas. So I've been working every free moment on this quilt to get it done for her by Christmas. It was very difficult for me to cut up these beautiful dresses and little suits but I did it. Used embellishments on it - buttons and lace from the dresses and suits. I got the top done and was waiting for the backing fabric that she wanted to pick out. She brought the fabric and another baby blanket she wanted me to add to the quilt. When I told her the top was done she broke down and said it was from her first son that passed away 22 years ago and she has slept with that blanket under her pillow. She said it was very important to add this to the quilt so I told her I would make a separate block on the back. Getting up the nerve to cut that blanket was hard - emotionally. I reinforced the cutting edge and zigzagged so the rest of the blanket wouldn't unravel. Never knew making the quilt was going to be so emotional.

What a wonderful Holiday story. It sounds like you but a lot of love into this quilt and I am sure that the people involved really appreciate all you work. All this is good karma for you! Bless you!!!

Wow, a truly special quilt. Would you be comfortable posting an image?

Blog Entries
    Sounds like you've made a quilt that will hold many memories for many years to come. Thanks for sharing.
    Joyce

This brings tears to my eyes. The quilt will mean so much...

Dina

OMG..... that brought tears to my eyes...... what a wonderful thing to do!!!

Hugs

Caroline
    Caroline

Blog Entries
    Oh what a story. I can just imagine how that quilt has become so special for you as well as the lady concerned.

Bless you for doing this. I'm sure the recipient will cherish this quilt as well as the requester.

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    She was so emotional she couldn't tell you at the beginning about the quilt that had to do with her son so you could have added it then. I understand it took her time to build herself up to tell you about it. You are so kind to go ahead and cut into your beautiful quilt and add that blanket. You are very thoughtful and generous. Good things will come to you.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Bless your dear heart. We all understand and it would have been hard for any of us. Memory quilts have to be very difficult. So much heart goes into them.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast