Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt curtain! >

Quilt curtain!

Quilt curtain!

Old 03-09-2009, 10:48 AM

I wouldn't use felt, because I don't think you could wash it.
I have seen some curtain rods that will swing out of the way, like a door. Actually, like the old towel racks people used to hang in the kitchen (only they had three arms) I don't know how long of an arm they have, though.
It doesn't looke like you have enough room for one on each side. You need someone to engineer something for you that would fold up accordion-style, and still support the weight.
Good luck with this!
Old 03-09-2009, 11:29 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jdavis
I wouldn't use felt, because I don't think you could wash it.
I have seen some curtain rods that will swing out of the way, like a door. Actually, like the old towel racks people used to hang in the kitchen (only they had three arms) I don't know how long of an arm they have, though.
It doesn't looke like you have enough room for one on each side. You need someone to engineer something for you that would fold up accordion-style, and still support the weight.
Good luck with this!
thanks J - I'm getting a new sewing machine soonish (hooray!) so I'll wait til then to start and OF COURSE I'll post pics when I'm done! :D

K x
Old 03-23-2009, 12:12 PM

I have seen some drapery that is usually like silk or thin material . The lliner is the regular lining material plus flannel . so maybe your quilt curtain would do well with a flannel filler. I think a colorful quilt could add so much for the decor of the room. You could pick out the colors to enhance your room.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:11 PM

One idea is the "Warm Window" products. They sell a 4 layered quilted, insulated fabric and the hardware to hang it. Here is there main info:

http://www.warmcompany.com/wwpage.html

You can also buy the fabric at most larger fabric stores and on line.

So, your budget is more like $20 a window? See what this frugal person did with only $20:

http://countrylife.lehmans.com/2007/...window-quilts/

Another frugal minded person did this:

http://energyboomer.typepad.com/ener...-make-ene.html

One of my favorites, probably because hers LOOK like quilts:

http://www.manytracks.com/Homesteading/winquilt.htm

Hope some of those ideas work for you and others. I've just used a thick batting on my two sewing room windows for the last several years. I hang lined curtains in front of it, then I can take the top part down half way to let more light in if I want.

Old 03-24-2009, 01:12 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Thanks for the ideas, and for bumping my topic LOL!

I've got all the fabric now and will make it like a regular quilt but with thin batting. I'm going to wait til I get my new sewing machine tho!

K x
Old 03-24-2009, 06:22 AM

You're welcome! What kind of new sewing machine are you getting? (Sorry if you've addressed that elsewhere and I didn't realize it).

Karla

ETA: Would love to see pics of your new window quilt when you get it made up. Thanks!
Old 03-24-2009, 06:27 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Quiltgranny
You're welcome! What kind of new sewing machine are you getting? (Sorry if you've addressed that elsewhere and I didn't realize it).

Karla

ETA: Would love to see pics of your new window quilt when you get it made up. Thanks!
I'm getting the Janome 6600MC! Can't wait! A friend has one and she loves it! I've had a little play on it and I know I'll love it too. At the moment, I've got an old Toyota - just about the most basic model you can get. It does straight lines and that's about it. I've done a bit of ditch quilting on it but you can't drop the feed dogs so can't do anything more fancy and for piecing, well, i know a bad workman blames his tools but I'm SURE my seam allowances will be better when i get my new toy - at least, I won't have any more excuses, will I! :wink: :D

K x
Old 03-24-2009, 03:59 PM

Wow! What an awesome sewing machine!!! I can imagine that you will enjoy this machine for a long time to come. I'm excited for you. Congrats! Gee, I didn't even know Toyota made a sewing machine, lol. What a wonderful step up for you. Enjoy!

Happy quilting,

Karla
Old 03-24-2009, 10:08 PM

Will a quilt curtain help keep the heat OUT in the summer?
Old 03-24-2009, 11:52 PM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Quiltgranny
Wow! What an awesome sewing machine!!! I can imagine that you will enjoy this machine for a long time to come. I'm excited for you. Congrats! Gee, I didn't even know Toyota made a sewing machine, lol. What a wonderful step up for you. Enjoy!

Happy quilting,

Karla
Thanks Karla! :D

K x