Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt in a day >

Quilt in a day

Quilt in a day

Old 03-21-2016, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by carolynjo View Post
My husband does not like to hear talk; she reminds him, logically, of a kindergarten teacher, but I surely have learned lots from her.
same as with you and Sprice, my husband agrees with yours about Eleanor sounding like a teacher. He always says, "Do you have to listen to that right now?" when he's in the room. I have MANY of EB books and made many of her designs; must admit she was one of my TV teachers, as was Alex Anderson in Simply Quilts. Nancy Zeiiman doesn't hold back with her 'shortcuts' that are helpful also. I just need to put together my Pioneer Sampler blocks that I made over 30 years ago as I don't own any of many quilts I've made; have given them all away or used for fundraisers. I have the books and fabric put together for about 40 quilts but time will tell if I get them all done bc I'm already 70 yo and legally blind. Not giving up yet cuz I can still thread that needle!!! Haven't made those you asked about, Geri B.
Old 03-21-2016, 06:22 AM

I also love watching EB videos. (She has a whole gallery of them on her web site.) I have learned so much from her, especially to make block components slightly over-sized and trim to size. But, yesterday I was watching Deb Tucker demonstrate her specialty rulers on You Tube and I think I will be investing in them if I want to make a Lamoyne Star or Hunters Star. I already own and LOVE Deb's Wing Clipper ruler!
Old 03-21-2016, 07:54 AM

I too love, love, love EB. I have met her in person in Road to California quilt show. She was as nice as could be and very informative and patient with all the questions I had. She had just started eating her lunch and graciously put her sandwich behind her to visit with me and a friend. Also, I had a picture taken with her. I have made a few quilts from her books and have many more to do on my bucket list. I am proud of her for coming up from a bad marriage and making a go of her life. She is terrific!
Old 03-21-2016, 08:19 AM

I learned so much from EB when I started quilting. I have several books and have made many of her quilts. My hubby still picks up a piece of scrap fabric and throws it over his shoulder.
Old 03-21-2016, 08:39 AM

I LOVE Eleanor Burns and watched all of her set of videos on her channel on the net . Her sons have done well ,being raised by her and both have her hard work ethics. And than she finally became a grandma of five beautiful little ones. Her story is uplifting. I agree with others , her voice can be a bit different, but I was able to get pass that and see the big heart and how genuine of a person she is. She loves to get into the role of what she is doing and becomes quite a character.. I have all her videos and the books that go with them. If I were to open a quilt store I would borrow a lot of her business savvy. One can only dream.. ....Happy Quilting Davena

Last edited by Davena; 03-21-2016 at 08:45 AM. Reason: An error.
Old 03-22-2016, 11:07 AM

I was tickled to run into her twice at the Houston International Quilt Show, she signed my book for me, and took the time to chat with DH and myself. She is so kind to everyone she meets. I love her video's and have a couple of her books but plan on adding to that collection of books.
Old 03-22-2016, 12:31 PM

Ok.....watched her again last evening.....her sampler book is done with GO dies,which I have so I went to her website and found one in the slightly damaged section at a good price and ordered that too........no more!
Old 03-23-2016, 08:48 AM

I too am a fan of EB. Have many of her books and watch her on RFD channel 231 (Dish Network) 5 p.m. Central time. Haven't had a failure since starting to use her method. I like the cutting larger than needed which trimming makes the blocks come out right
Old 03-23-2016, 01:47 PM

I too am a fan of EB. in fact her sister is Pat Knoechel who does gives program around the country demonstrating Eleanor's newest techniques. This year program is on "quilt from El's attic". if you get a chance to hear Pat speak GO!!!!! She is really worth it to hear.

PS Eleanor picks up her own thread and scraps that she throws on the floor
Old 03-23-2016, 11:09 PM

I to am a Eleanor Burns fan. My first quilt book was the log cabin that she self published -- and oh how easy she made it to follow the process. (Who would have guessed the 2.5" waist band strips that she dug out of the trash and used in many of her quilts would go on to become so popular.) I have a good number of her books and have watched her on TV since she had the show where she would go into the attic at the end -- and I have learned a lot and have been entertained. Because of her dyslexia she developed some easy ways to make a lot of the blocks and even though I had been making clothes for about 30 years, she helped me transition to quilting.